Improvement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Just watched the video. In regards to being a "hitter", should the tip of the barrel be pointed to the pitcher after contact and extension?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just watched the video. In regards to being a "hitter", should the tip of the barrel be pointed to the pitcher after contact and extension?

Good question. That is one way to view it ..... have an objective of the bat becoming pointed out to the field.

Notice in Brian's swing below that the bat becomes pointed out towards the field.

96gec2.gif

Perform a few dry swings where you first stop at full extension with the bat pointed out to the field, and then perform some dry swings where the objective is for the swing to pass through full extension. Let's see if she gets the notion of the release process.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Is the entire video of this available?

As an FYI, Williams did not use the term "turning the barrel", but he did speak of creating a swing arc and made reference to having a greater swing arc than others. From his book "The Science of Hitting" .....

The arc of my swing was much greater than Cobb’s What he said would apply to guys more his type, guys who choked up on the bat more and pushed the ball around. That wasn’t in me. I was down, with a longer stroke, a greater arc.
Correct Five, but I think you know what I'm getting at. Centripetal to centrifugal. Even the greats with the lesser arc's released the barrel through the ball. Learning to twirl the barrel and cutting the length of stroke is no help to anyone.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks Howe ... appreciate the clarification and agree.

This girl doesn’t feel the ‘release’.

Said differently, she feels the centripetal portion, but not the centrifugal portion.

Almost a defiance of Newton’s first law … that being a body in motion wishes to stay in motion in a straight line … but the centripetal portion persists and interferes with the centrifugal-like action. So we get a merry-go-round ... or 'around' ... no 'out from' ... no 'release'.

Love your thread at BBD on that topic.

Oct 25, 2009
SoftballPhreak....she's actually just hitting a diamond foam ball into the garage wall. So, she has room. I think she doesn't know what to do after "turning" the barrel.

I suggest trying the old Charley Lau drill. I think they call it reverse top hand drill on this site.

In the Lau drill have her place her right hand on top of her left wrist (edge of right hand touching the bat) so that when she swings the right hand will slide up the left arm and the bat will extend up toward the sky over the left shoulder.

Probably a better description and/or video clip on here somewhere.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I suggest trying the old Charley Lau drill. I think they call it reverse top hand drill on this site.

In the Lau drill have her place her right hand on top of her left wrist (edge of right hand touching the bat) so that when she swings the right hand will slide up the left arm and the bat will extend up toward the sky over the left shoulder.

Probably a better description and/or video clip on here somewhere.

Here's an example of the reverse top hand drill ....