Improvement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
FiveFrameSwing here is a dry swing. Is the extension better here?

[video=youtube_share;xDGWxb-xEHU]http://youtu.be/xDGWxb-xEHU[/video]

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She's improving.

Here's an interview of Wil Myer in which he summarizes how a goal oriented towards extension helped turn his performance around.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/49502912/v28107685/harold-interviews-wil-myers-in-this-diamond-demo

2cwprwx.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The big thing that jumps out at me is how far her hands are away from her rear shoulder, and that her hands are leading the swing. Tighten up the hand pivot point (maintain a tight "power-V" in the rear arm longer), and get the rear hip firing before the hands start forward.

The hips pull the hands...
210f195.jpg

Oct 4, 2011
fnzhiw.gif

cbullard - she is pretty close here. She is turning the barrel with her hands, but she seems to be missing some resistance and what some might call overlap. Try putting a bungee cord on the bat handle and anchor it down in a line towards where the second baseman would play (see video below). When turning the barrel, feel the hands, forearms and rear scap resist moving forward when the rear hip/thigh (your preference) turns forward. Watch the video below and see/feel the point where the rear hip/thigh turn forward and the hands, forearms and rear scap resist and turns the barrel. It will almost snap the barrel turn quickly. I believe that part is called overlap and it will create some lateral tilt for a slight upswing. Right now she is turning the barrel and the hands are only using the momentum of her shift forward imo.

Swing into a heavy bag. I wouldn't advise to swing off a tee with this set up. I wish I could show this clip forwards and backwards at the point of overlap so you can see it better, but I do not have the software for that.

I barrel path is a little extreme, but it is a great way to learn the feel.

[video=youtube_share;20-VF_MIW-c]http://youtu.be/20-VF_MIW-c[/video]

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
Thanks turnin2. I appreciate it. I'll try to find a way to have her use a bungee cord. Another thing that she struggle with, and it's my fault, is that she makes contact with the ball palm up/ palm down, but she thinks her elbow has to be at her side when contact is made. Not, necessarily pinned to her side. But, she thinks that the arm of her top hand has to be in an L shape...is that makes sense. instead of letting the elbow come through and extend.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good question. That is one way to view it ..... have an objective of the bat becoming pointed out to the field.

Notice in Brian's swing below that the bat becomes pointed out towards the field.

96gec2.gif

Perform a few dry swings where you first stop at full extension with the bat pointed out to the field, and then perform some dry swings where the objective is for the swing to pass through full extension. Let's see if she gets the notion of the release process.

Regarding the bold above, the video below describes such a drill.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She has an upright posture and the hands have to drop out of the plane of the shoulders to make contact on the tee swing posted. Extension or lack there of is a result of disconnected swing, poor momentum transfer. Look at the difference between Giles hand path, who keeps the lead arm up, and your daughter. Giles has beautiful momentum transfer, great posture, swing plane.

What have people been telling you to where you think extension is the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01