I'm at a bit of a crossroad.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Buckeye, I've been reading through this carefully. Crossroads is a good description. I tend to keep commitments to a fault. Show loyalty even when it isn't deserved, because my word means something even if the other person's doesn't. But I also see another pattern here: you to a role which you embraced with clear passion and innovation. I would say that those who entrusted you with that role also made a commitment, not to agree with everything you suggest or give you full and unchecked license to do as you will, but to be a part of a creative and cooperative process. To me that constitutes an agreement - a deal. You were cut out of the process and essentially turned into an errand boy; therefore they broke the deal. That doesn't mean you should drop the job out of hand, but I do believe it gives you freedom to do so with a clear conscience. Personally, I suggest you step away, and not simply out of frustration and revenge (even though those are pretty honest places to be). Here are a couple of items I would encourage you to consider.

-You made hard-earned gains with local HS coaches at the risk of your own reputation. What will it mean in the future if these coaches lose confidence in your personal integrity?
-The enormous amount of work you have already done was not only unappreciated, it was dismissed. These are people who are not interested in your leadership. They only want you to be a good boy and do things the last guy's way. That's why he was consulted about the future you were proposing and you were ignored. It is likely you will continue to be ignored. Admittedly I'm at a distance from this, but I don't buy that their conciliatory tones were genuine.
-The girls in the program will continue to receive the level of service to which they have become accustomed. They won't know how much better it could have been.
-Your own personal stress level and how that affects your health and your own family shouldn't be overlooked.

It does no good to beat a dead horse. The horse won't run any faster, and you just get tired. In your shoes, I would write a letter of resignation to the Board and other appropriate parties (with copies given to the HS coaches and others you determine) describing the broken process, highlighting the lack of inclusion and communication, and noting that nobody can perform the job competently in such an environment. I would try to keep it professional and simple, avoiding the appearance of being vengeful and emotional.

There are other ways to enjoy this wonderful game that won't invite a stroke.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
No such program exist.

If people praised you for your volunteer work, it would be called "public praise" and not "public service."

I agree, but I think there's a difference between praise and appreciation. Either way, I think they appreciate the work and effort but not the new ideas/change I'm advocating.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Buckeye, I've been reading through this carefully. Crossroads is a good description. I tend to keep commitments to a fault. Show loyalty even when it isn't deserved, because my word means something even if the other person's doesn't. But I also see another pattern here: you to a role which you embraced with clear passion and innovation. I would say that those who entrusted you with that role also made a commitment, not to agree with everything you suggest or give you full and unchecked license to do as you will, but to be a part of a creative and cooperative process. To me that constitutes an agreement - a deal. You were cut out of the process and essentially turned into an errand boy; therefore they broke the deal. That doesn't mean you should drop the job out of hand, but I do believe it gives you freedom to do so with a clear conscience. Personally, I suggest you step away, and not simply out of frustration and revenge (even though those are pretty honest places to be). Here are a couple of items I would encourage you to consider.

-You made hard-earned gains with local HS coaches at the risk of your own reputation. What will it mean in the future if these coaches lose confidence in your personal integrity?
-The enormous amount of work you have already done was not only unappreciated, it was dismissed. These are people who are not interested in your leadership. They only want you to be a good boy and do things the last guy's way. That's why he was consulted about the future you were proposing and you were ignored. It is likely you will continue to be ignored. Admittedly I'm at a distance from this, but I don't buy that their conciliatory tones were genuine.
-The girls in the program will continue to receive the level of service to which they have become accustomed. They won't know how much better it could have been.
-Your own personal stress level and how that affects your health and your own family shouldn't be overlooked.

It does no good to beat a dead horse. The horse won't run any faster, and you just get tired. In your shoes, I would write a letter of resignation to the Board and other appropriate parties (with copies given to the HS coaches and others you determine) describing the broken process, highlighting the lack of inclusion and communication, and noting that nobody can perform the job competently in such an environment. I would try to keep it professional and simple, avoiding the appearance of being vengeful and emotional.

There are other ways to enjoy this wonderful game that won't invite a stroke.

I feel that there is much wisdom here (both in the post above, and in DFP in general). I enjoy bringing these issues here, even when the entirety of DFP tells me I'm wrong and I screwed the pooch, because you all have more practical experience than I do and I need that perspective.

I feel that it's too late for me to walk away without damaging the program. The old commish isn't up to the job any more for various reasons, and they won't find a new one before the season starts. That said, we all know how it works: we want to improve something we are involved in, so we invest time and effort and money. The result becomes negative, and so we double down and work harder, just knowing that we're about to turn the corner. This morning on my commute I was introduced to the term escalation of commitment. It struck such a chord I almost had to pull over and just sit in awe over this being a "thing."

So they get one more season, then I'm out. I'll keep pushing for change, but with no expectation that there will be any. And if the fire me for being pushy, I can totally live with that!

Sep 29, 2014
In the end figured this is exactly where you would end up. The devil on your shoulder probably wanted to say well if "ex-commish guy" is so great he can have is old job back I've got better things to do but that's just not in your character. While the process could work better it does work, girls sign up and have an opportunity to play, very few people ever see what goes on behind the scenes going to the storage unit and inventorying and sorting everything, scheduling nightmares all the time, field maintenance, uniform orders and reorders, dealing with coaches, and the list never stops. Its that proverbial duck floating across the water while nobody sees his little feet paddling away under the waterline.

Hang in there and just appreciate the girls having a great time playing the game they love while reminding everyone you are not doing this next year and if they have someone in mind you would be happy to show him the ropes now so the transition goes smoothly.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
I feel that there is much wisdom here (both in the post above, and in DFP in general). I enjoy bringing these issues here, even when the entirety of DFP tells me I'm wrong and I screwed the pooch, because you all have more practical experience than I do and I need that perspective.

I feel that it's too late for me to walk away without damaging the program. The old commish isn't up to the job any more for various reasons, and they won't find a new one before the season starts. That said, we all know how it works: we want to improve something we are involved in, so we invest time and effort and money. The result becomes negative, and so we double down and work harder, just knowing that we're about to turn the corner. This morning on my commute I was introduced to the term escalation of commitment. It struck such a chord I almost had to pull over and just sit in awe over this being a "thing."

So they get one more season, then I'm out. I'll keep pushing for change, but with no expectation that there will be any. And if the fire me for being pushy, I can totally live with that!

The mere fact that you were seeking other opinions speaks to your character. It shows you earnestly desire to make the best decision possible. The fact that you weigh those decisions and determine your path speaks to your leadership. The decision to NOT leave the girls high and dry (I assumed incorrectly that ex-commish guy would resume his spot) speaks to your integrity. Got nothing but respect for you. May you see quadruple the amount of girls in the next season!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Either way, I think they appreciate the work and effort but not the new ideas/change I'm advocating.

True story:

I was one of the founders of what is now the largest fastpitch organization in Illinois, the Naperville Diamonds.

The guy who actually started the Diamonds was Joe Chirumbolo. Joe is the guy who got us all together that first night, put together the teams, and got equipment. He put a lot of his own money and time into creating the organization. He designed the same logo they are using today. For the first four or five years, he did almost everything. Basically, if there was no Joe, there would be Naperville Diamonds. That was almost 20 years ago.

I wrote the current president of the organization and asked if they could place just a brief thank you to Joe somewhere on its web page..and, nothing. Too busy, and apparently too complicated to write a paragraph about Joe.

That is youth sports.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
BeG - Good luck with this season! The longer you keep banging your head against the wall, the better it will feel when you stop. It's not quite the "total consciousness on your death bed" that Carl Spackler was promised by the Lama, but it is something you can look forward to!

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina

I appreciate how carefully you've thought through this. Here is (probably!) a final thought for you. If you are in, be all in. What I mean is, don't just be pushy about change; you must keep your expectation for change alive and active. It's wise to be realistic about what people might accept, but maintaining your hope for change is more about you than anything else. Forego hope and it becomes easy to lose the motivation to serve as well as the actual chance to effect change. Then you just go through the motions, which turns banging your head against a wall into a reward.

Plus, maybe there's a young padawan out there who needs the guidance of a softball Jedi Master. If you're out in a year, maybe you can prepare someone to take your place and continue striving against the dark side.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I appreciate how carefully you've thought through this. Here is (probably!) a final thought for you. If you are in, be all in. What I mean is, don't just be pushy about change; you must keep your expectation for change alive and active. It's wise to be realistic about what people might accept, but maintaining your hope for change is more about you than anything else...

So, I pushed back again with my registration numbers, showing specifically that registration numbers do not suddenly spike at the end of the registration period, and wonder of wonders the old commish agreed with me. I was stunned. We'll see what the prez has to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00