I'm at a bit of a crossroad.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2015
I had assumed it was going to be Jan 1, as that's the date I'd pushed for most of a year with zero pushback. From the email I got, the decision was made by the ex-commish and the association president (she's the direct contact with the Board).

I'm about there. I thought we were going to make some changes, make the league more professional, begin elevating the level of play. I have no idea what we're doing now.

Just a suggestion, but if she's the only contact with the board, that's a problem. I'm assuming you have the information for all the members of the board. Send out a group e-mail to the board addressing your concerns. If the board is worth anything, they'll at least discuss the issues, and do what they think is best (not what the Pres and her crony think is best).

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Just a suggestion, but if she's the only contact with the board, that's a problem. I'm assuming you have the information for all the members of the board. Send out a group e-mail to the board addressing your concerns. If the board is worth anything, they'll at least discuss the issues, and do what they think is best (not what the Pres and her crony think is best).

I do not have that info, but I have access to it. Part of our problem is that at 700 girls, we are one of the smallest sports in the Association. Soccer regularly pulls in over 2500, so when I want to do something the first thing out of someone's mouth is "Why? Soccer doesn't do it that way."

Anyway, after a couple of blunt, semi-irate emails, the prez called and apologized to me for not discussing the league happenings with me, and the ex-commish was very conciliatory as well. I do believe that they are concerned about me possibly leaving, though I never mentioned that I might.

Still not sure if I should stay, but I think I'll give it one more season to see how many changes I can make happen.

Aug 26, 2015
I do not have that info, but I have access to it. Part of our problem is that at 700 girls, we are one of the smallest sports in the Association. Soccer regularly pulls in over 2500, so when I want to do something the first thing out of someone's mouth is "Why? Soccer doesn't do it that way."

Anyway, after a couple of blunt, semi-irate emails, the prez called and apologized to me for not discussing the league happenings with me, and the ex-commish was very conciliatory as well. I do believe that they are concerned about me possibly leaving, though I never mentioned that I might.

Still not sure if I should stay, but I think I'll give it one more season to see how many changes I can make happen.
You've invested so much already into the girls. This much is obvious. I don't fault you for sticking it out another season to see if it'll work. I do suggest that you be an uncomfortable leader, though. Just head in the direction and let them prove they want you to lead them. If they buck and scream every step of the way, you have your answer. If they don't, you also have your answer. My hope for you and the girls' sake that it's the latter and that this situation was a wakeup call that they might lose you. But going in a direction and compelling them to follow is the true litmus test. Wish you the best with this man. Keep us posted on it.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
OK, I'm posting this here, I need to see if you guys are reading this the same way I am. Names have been redacted to protect everyone:

From the Assoc Prez:

"Hi Ray and 'Ex-commish-guy'
I had Tessi
(the admin we share with baseball) take a snap shot of 2014 & 2015 registration which we copied from the year before that. I was mistaken when I thought baseball and softball opened in January. It was only baseball. So I am moving baseball to Feb and we will keep softball in Feb as it has been in the past. I know parent feedback has asked for it even later – but I know Ray is anxious to get it open….although, it was a slow trickle of registrations as many are not thinking of Spring/summer ball and trying to pay off the Holiday bills and still playing in the winter season.

Thanks"

my reply:

"I'm confused - why does it matter if we open registration early? It's all online and automated, so I'm not understanding why the pushback? Some parents might want it opened later, but why do they care as long as it is open when they're ready?

Plus, I keep hearing about how registration starts slow and avalanches at the end. Here's what I know from last season:

114 registered by 2/7
256 by 2/14
318 by 2/21
and 385 by 2/28. So about 57% of our girls registered in the first 4 weeks registration was open.

217 registered in all of March (≈32%), and we had around 70 (≈10%) register after 3/31.

My major concern is the lack of time to get everything that needs doing, done. We can't be making new teams in late April and looking for coaches in May. My opinion is that 3/31 needs to be a drop dead date and we wait-list anyone registering 4/1 and after. I want registration opened earlier, but I need it closed sooner, and I need that communicated clearly and often."

and her reply to me

"Hi Ray –
No confusion ~ we group openings. There is no pushback. We are keeping it as we have in the past. All sports avalanche in the end because parents wait till the last minute because they do not have the extra cash to pay for a sport that doesn’t start for months. Opening date is not nearly as critical as the close date ~ because now we charge a late fee.

We are not opening softball in January.

The only discussion is when to close. I would like to meet in Jan. to discuss this. My concern is to close too early ~ we may lose a lot of kiddos and we assess a late fee. But 'Ex-commish guy' can shed some light on this as he has done this for a long time and has always been successful in forming teams, ordering uniforms, etc.
I will communicate your sport as I do with all others."

Thoughts?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is no pushback. We are keeping it as we have in the past.

But 'Ex-commish guy' can shed some light on this as he has done this for a long time and has always been successful in forming teams, ordering uniforms, etc.

This^^^ sums it up. They aren't changing anything. Deal with it.

Aug 26, 2015
I've written and re-written 4 times now. The best thing I can say based on the new information is......if I were you, I'd pass.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Time to move on. Cut ties and find a program where they will appreciate your hard work. You sound like the type of person that should be running the show. IMHO

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cut ties and find a program where they will appreciate your hard work.

No such program exist.

If people praised you for your volunteer work, it would be called "public praise" and not "public service."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00