illegal pitch question - sidearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
"In the delivery of the pitch, the hand must be below the pitch, and the wrist not farther from the body than the elbow"

Is this rule ASA? In a lot of the learning threads I see the wrist is farther from the body frequently. I'm curious about this

This seems very hard to enforce without slow motion replay. Anyone experience this rule being enforced during a game?

thanks

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
E. The delivery must be an underhanded motion with the hand below the
hip and the wrist not farther from the body than the elbow.

This is a good question. Technically speaking, pitching the IR style the wrist will be farther away than the elbow.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
There's no mistaking a sidearm softball pitcher. Unfortunately it's rare to see any umpire ever call it. Any PC who actually teaches sidearm pitching should be run out of town.

Apr 25, 2010
I saw this called a couple years ago at our state rec tournament. A 10u girl got called 13 times in one game for it. She had gone all season with nobody calling it, and nobody being able to hit her. At State, she tried to adjust, but became totally ineffective. She has tried in the last couple years to correct it, but she is just as wild as any pitcher I've seen. We played her TB in January, and she hit 5 of our batters, then again in February, she hit 3 of our girls. Seems that is a habit that is nasty to break.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The rule has been there forever. It, like many of the regulations, are there to ensure safe mechanics. It is not safe to pitch sidearm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad