If a coach calls your kid a "stud"...what does he/she mean by that?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
My dd's new coach keeps referring her to as a "stud" in practice with the other coaches. She doesn't know what he means by that and isn't sure she should ask. I tell her that I think it's probably a good thing, but as I have admitted before, I am softball stupid. She knows that I am too so she doesn't believe me. We asked her dad, but he is cuban and although he knows a lot about sports, he isn't sure what the coach would mean by saying that, kwim? He says the word stud makes him think of horses LOL

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, the coach could have said it once and left it at that. It means "You are 1 in a million." "You are a natural athlete." But, to keep bragging on her, might give her a "big head."

And at 8 years old, she could actually quit improving and the other girls could pass her up. Good luck.

Apr 19, 2011
LOL one in a million is a stretch. A natural athlete might be true. I'm with you on the big head thing. I think it's great that she is finally getting positive feedback on this new team because she responds well to that, but I can see her getting a little cocky lately. I've also been watching her correct other kids. Her coach encourages that, but I think it probably ticks her teammates off.

Thanks for your input, Amy. You are always very helpful. :)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
LOL one in a million is a stretch. A natural athlete might be true. I'm with you on the big head thing. I think it's great that she is finally getting positive feedback on this new team because she responds well to that, but I can see her getting a little cocky lately. I've also been watching her correct other kids. Her coach encourages that, but I think it probably ticks her teammates off.
Thanks for your input, Amy. You are always very helpful. :)

Yeah, I'm NOT a fan of players correcting other players. Let me be the one who jaws at them, not their teammates

Mar 13, 2010
There's really not a reason to be calling a 6 or 7 year old a 'stud'. I'd balk at calling anyone under 10 that. The term I use is 'they have so much potential!'

Also agree with CoachKevin that I have a massive issue with other players correcting their teammates. Most of the time it's because they're flat out wrong and secondly because it's not their place. Not only does it cause issues with proper teaching, but can cause friction between the girls. I will often have a player from the team above helping, but not within the same team.

Oct 12, 2009
My dd's new coach keeps referring her to as a "stud" in practice with the other coaches. She doesn't know what he means by that and isn't sure she should ask. I tell her that I think it's probably a good thing, but as I have admitted before, I am softball stupid. She knows that I am too so she doesn't believe me. We asked her dad, but he is cuban and although he knows a lot about sports, he isn't sure what the coach would mean by saying that, kwim? He says the word stud makes him think of horses LOL

A stud is a natural athlete; someone who is strong, coordinated, and clearly the best player on the team.

I would never tell a kid that they are a stud (I only use it as shorthand when talking with other coaches), but it's usually obvious to them and everyone else.

While leadership is good (e.g. calling cuts and where to throw the ball) I wouldn't let a kid coach other kids because that can lead to resentment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've also been watching her correct other kids. Her coach encourages that, but I think it probably ticks her teammates off.

Probably true.

Even if she is right and very polite with her advice that is a bad habit for her to get into during Team practices or games.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just got this on Twitter -

Awesome team win for @USSSAPride tonight! Pauly and @catosterman were studs in the circle and our line up was on fiiiiyyyyaaaa!

A

adolfainsley8

I can see her getting a little cocky lately. I've also been watching her correct other kids. Her coach encourages that, but I think it probably ticks her teammates off????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad