Ideal balls for 10U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2014
Which 11" balls are ideal for 10U? I've been asked to help get equipment for a new fall ball league. We want good balls for pitching and hitting. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Also probably will be getting the same brand for the older girls in a 12" ball.

Aug 19, 2014
Thanks bud. We are trying to use balls the same or as close to the same as possible, as balls that are used at tourneys. I will check out these balls u mentioned above. Do they hit OK ( not sponges)?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In my experience in So Cal ASA All-Star tournaments, all of them use Dream Seam (or similar) for 12U and up. 10U was either Dream Seam at a couple, but more often RIF. The RIF balls are definitely softer, and don't hit as well. For 10U, a little extra safety isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Aug 19, 2014
In my experience in So Cal ASA All-Star tournaments, all of them use Dream Seam (or similar) for 12U and up. 10U was either Dream Seam at a couple, but more often RIF. The RIF balls are definitely softer, and don't hit as well. For 10U, a little extra safety isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I can definitely agree with safety. In our spring league (Little League Association) we used a softer ball for the 8U and a little harder ball for 10U. I'm not exactly sure which ball was used in 10U since my daughter was in 8U. Now we are starting a fall league (no association with any sanctioning body) and need to find balls similar to what was used in spring. I think the dream seam may be OK. We do require the fielders to wear the gameface masks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks, I have some Dudley Thunder heat. I think they may be too hot...lol...I pitched my 9 year old some and she scared me hitting them...lol

The Dudleys are good balls, too. I consider them pretty much an equal to the Dream Seams for hitting performance. If you're used to a softer ball from 8U, the difference to a non-RIF ball is pretty dramatic, especially if the hitters are using good-quality composite bats.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Most of the 11", 375 lb .44 core (or is it 47 I always seem to confuse these) balls will all perform similar with hitting. The difference is usually how high the seams are for pitching.

You just want to be careful not to get the hot slow pitch softballs mixed in. I have some old "green dot 525 lb balls" and those are like rocks that fly a mile when hit right. I only use them for tee work or bunting.

Aug 19, 2014
The Dudleys are good balls, too. I consider them pretty much an equal to the Dream Seams for hitting performance. If you're used to a softer ball from 8U, the difference to a non-RIF ball is pretty dramatic, especially if the hitters are using good-quality composite bats.

Yea, we have 44 players in the 10U league and I would say 75% use some form of Demarini CF series bat and a few have Xenos. Our reason for wanting to use a little harder ball is we have a handpicked team from the league to play in surrounding counties tournaments. Earlier this year we done that when we wwre still 8U and our girls were shell shocked by how much faster the ball was coming at them...lol. We are wanting them to be more used to the hotter hits coming at them. We practiced using hotter balls for a few weeks and a few weeks later we won the USGF world series, REC division of course. Not sure what balls usgf uses for 8&10U though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom