I wished I hadn't worn that mask.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
You're looking at it all wrong. Protect the nachos!!

As of this moment, I'm currently developing a metal cage food and drink protector to prevent such catastrophes such as nacho cheese splashing, hot dog dumping, and - worst of all - beer spilling. For 3 easy payments of $99.95...

So if you save 7 orders of nacho's you break even. ;-)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You're looking at it all wrong. Protect the nachos!!

As of this moment, I'm currently developing a metal cage food and drink protector to prevent such catastrophes such as nacho cheese splashing, hot dog dumping, and - worst of all - beer spilling. For 3 easy payments of $99.95...

Of course one the Nacho Defender is mandated at stadiums nationwide demand will quickly outstrip supply and you should be able to easily get $299 about the same price as a quality bat. Its that too much? If it saves just one chip, little cup of hot processed cheese, a foot long with peppers and onions, or god forbid a 24oz brewski isn't it worth it?

SAVE THE NACHOS - SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION NOW TO END THE MADNESS!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Of course one the Nacho Defender is mandated at stadiums nationwide demand will quickly outstrip supply and you should be able to easily get $299 about the same price as a quality bat. Its that too much? If it saves just one chip, little cup of hot processed cheese, a foot long with peppers and onions, or god forbid a 24oz brewski isn't it worth it?

SAVE THE NACHOS - SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION NOW TO END THE MADNESS!!!

You're hired as the Director of Marketing. :cool:

Mar 24, 2014
Last fall was watching a game after our pool play games were finished. Saw a pitcher take a line drive to the forehead, ball then bounced on top of dugout. Happened so fast didn't even get her glove up to try and grab it. Ended up taking her off the field on a stretcher and to the hospital. As of middle of high school ball, she still wasn't playing having side effects of concussion.

Still not sure why people are against masks. Wearing a mask doesn't make you any less of a player. Saw on ESPN the Georgia corners were wearing masks. I think you will see more players wearing masks in the future.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Last fall was watching a game after our pool play games were finished. Saw a pitcher take a line drive to the forehead, ball then bounced on top of dugout. Happened so fast didn't even get her glove up to try and grab it. Ended up taking her off the field on a stretcher and to the hospital. As of middle of high school ball, she still wasn't playing having side effects of concussion.

Still not sure why people are against masks. Wearing a mask doesn't make you any less of a player. Saw on ESPN the Georgia corners were wearing masks. I think you will see more players wearing masks in the future.

I feel badly for the pitcher but let's be very clear here - the mask would not have prevented a concussion. In order to do that, it has to absorb a significant amount of energy and decrease the amount of energy transferred to the head. I rigid piece of metal on the face will not do that. The face masks are designed with the intent to protect the fragile bones of the face and teeth (plenty of reason to wear one), but if the ball is hit so hard that a pitcher cannot get a glove up to protect herself, she would have sustained a concussion, mask or no mask. Just because something is worn on the head does not mean that it affords any protection, especially if it does not significantly dissipate the energy transferred to the head that causes it to snap back violently.

Jun 7, 2013
I feel badly for the pitcher but let's be very clear here - the mask would not have prevented a concussion. In order to do that, it has to absorb a significant amount of energy and decrease the amount of energy transferred to the head. I rigid piece of metal on the face will not do that. The face masks are designed with the intent to protect the fragile bones of the face and teeth (plenty of reason to wear one), but if the ball is hit so hard that a pitcher cannot get a glove up to protect herself, she would have sustained a concussion, mask or no mask. Just because something is worn on the head does not mean that it affords any protection, especially if it does not significantly dissipate the energy transferred to the head that causes it to snap back violently.

With this assessment, I believe that we need to consider that the circular shape of the face mask is, more than likely, going to cause the ball to deflect and, hence, the full energy of the ball will not be directed at the head. Additionally, the amount of energy absorbed by the head will be distributed more evenly around the face and partially absorbed by the padding. While not a guarantee that a concussion will be prevented, I do believe that your odds are better with the mask.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With this assessment, I believe that we need to consider that the circular shape of the face mask is, more than likely, going to cause the ball to deflect and, hence, the full energy of the ball will not be directed at the head. Additionally, the amount of energy absorbed by the head will be distributed more evenly around the face and partially absorbed by the padding. While not a guarantee that a concussion will be prevented, I do believe that your odds are better with the mask.

Given the physical dynamics of a concussion I am not sure how distributing the force makes any difference? In fact it is possible that distribution via a mask may make things worse with regards to a concussion. In an absence of the reduction of force the primary benefit of the mask is preventing injury to soft tissue.

Jun 7, 2013
Given the physical dynamics of a concussion I am not sure how distributing the force makes any difference? In fact it is possible that distribution via a mask may make things worse with regards to a concussion. In an absence of the reduction of force the primary benefit of the mask is preventing injury to soft tissue.

Yea, I see your point about the distribution of force may not matter or, potentially, may make it worse, in regards to a concussion.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yea, I see your point about the distribution of force may not matter or, potentially, may make it worse, in regards to a concussion.

Given how big a deal concussions have become with regard to the NFL and youth sports I think that the research and engineering that will occur in the next 3-5 years will be fascinating. If anyone knows of companies that may be involved in such work please send me their stock symbol. :)