I wished I hadn't worn that mask.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have to wear one now or else im not allowed to play. Doctors orders! I got hit my freshmen year of high school. It was so bad that when I went to the doctor they said I was lucky I wasn't dead. I was about 20ft from the batter thinking she was going to bunt, but then she pulled back and smashed my face in.

Ouch!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had so much trouble getting my oldest DD to even wear a mouth guard playing 3B. She quit after freshman year, but it scared me to see her play so close to the plate with no mask on.

My youngest DD pitches, and usually plays either SS or 3B when not pitching (sometimes OF). These stories convinced me to take her to the store and buy a nice Rip It for her. Now she wears her Rip It anytime pitching or playing any IF position, even in rec ball!

Katie Bearn

Softball = Life
Feb 23, 2014
Pennsburg, Pa
BobInMadison;329426 My youngest DD pitches said:
I had a mouth guard in when I got hit but after wards my dad made me where the mask. I do swear though that my shock doctor mouth guard saved my life!!! If your DD is wearing one, make sure she has the best of the best. My dad use to complain about having to spend 20 dollars for just some plastic but after that day he never said another word about buying them for my younger sisters. I wear a Schutt face mask though because it is just like my batting helmet. I think that they are really slick. you can see really well and you are able to speak with them on unlike a mouth guard.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Well, my DD 1, who was the 3B, no longer plays. Pity. She was very talented, but just didn't like the game anymore.

My youngest, DD 3, wears a Rip It and likes it. She had a plastic mask for a while and hated it.

I let her know some of the stories I read online. That convinced both of us to get her a new mask and wear it all the time.

That is why you telling your story is important. Some kid somewhere may get a mask because of your story, or partly because of your story. Or a kid may decide to wear the mask instead of letting it sit in a bag.

You will never know if some other girl is saved the pain of a broken nose or worse because of what you post.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Maybe it simply requires a different way of looking at things. Hey Coach, want to win more games so you can secure your next contract/extension? Doesn't it make good sense then to have your stud players maximize their of innings/at bats? Well, you can avoid lost time to injury if they wear this batting helmet mask, fielding mask, elbow guard, ankle/foot guard, protective batting gloves, heart guard, bubble wrap etc. etc. etc.

IMO, we wouldn't be having these fielding mask discussions if there already was a NOCSAE standard.

Jan 23, 2014
My DD came to her team in the fall, no one else owned a mask. I felt one of the coaches felt it was a little ridiculous. Many parents bought their kids masks, but none made the kid wear it. This wknd was our first tournament since the Mizzou pitcher was hit(we live in Missouri) I made sure to share to the team's FB page. In the first game, every infielder was wearing a mask. At 10u, I think it's great. This wknd every kid who played infield but 1 wore a mask. The one usually catches and was playing 1b.

Jun 7, 2013
A few years ago I observed the trend of female softball players abandoning shorts for, in my opinion, the more sensible long baseball type pants. I believe that I am seeing the same trend towards wearing face masks. I think that we're going in the right direction!

Jan 24, 2009
A few years ago I observed the trend of female softball players abandoning shorts for, in my opinion, the more sensible long baseball type pants. I believe that I am seeing the same trend towards wearing face masks. I think that we're going in the right direction!

Truth!! The face guard trend is just like the switch to pants. In most cases, teams/players made the switch so that they could play more aggressively.