I was attacked by parents at practice tonight!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
You will never make everyone happy so don't even try. There is always going to be one or two parents that will always be unhappy, that's just life. You said that you have been there with your own daughter but you went from one extreme to another. All outfield to all infield, so one of the reasons you didn't get any sleep was because you knew that some of what the parents were saying is true. This is your first year coaching and we all know it's not easy, so that a deep breath and don't go from one extreme to another. Mix some of the players in slowly and move some of the infielders to the outfield. The most important thing you can do is not turn any of the players off to the game of softball. That happens enough on it's own.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
There is not magic to make all parents or players happy.

You do need to practice other kids in different positions but make all kids earn their starting position. When we got up 10 or so runs on a lesser team we would play the girls in different positions. So I had a good LF but she wants to try 3rd and we have practiced her there, then do it. A less experienced pitcher, great time to rotate. Parents are happy (somewhat) and kids are excited to play.

You have to build and plan for the future, never get in a rut and expect the unexpected (injuries, sickness, just no shows). We play 30 games a year in JV and you always have to be prepared to switch it up and always have plan B and C.

Learn to stand firm and get those assistant coaches to take some of the heat. I tell my HC all the time, send all complaints from parents to me. She has other things to focus on besides a arm chair coach parent that only shows up every other game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have red all your comments I greatly appreciate all of them. I had a practice today and that's when parents complained. I practiced a few kids on shortstop and 2nd base. I am going to bring some of my outfielders in to play in the infield I am also going to move around my batting order since that is also a complaint. I have barely slept tonight my head is spinning I am just trying to make everyone happy.

If you try to make everyone happy, no one will be happy.

Do the best you can. Its rec ball so move them around a bit. I tried to keep everyone on the same side of the field, if you were a right fielder you got to learn first or second base, left field third and/or ss, center ss and or second... then when games were out of hand, the girls in the outfield played in the infield. Batting lineup stick to your guns, bat them the way you want but be flexible and move girls up who got some hits and move girls down who aren't hitting. Show the girls that production is rewarded.

Apr 1, 2010
Let me get this straight:

(1) You have been playing the same kids on the infield since the beginning of the year.
(2) None of the "other" kids since the beginning of the season have improved enough to play the infield.

You have not taught *ONE* other kid how to play 2B?

If not, then you don't know how to coach. You have made *ZERO* progress with the kids.

As far as the parent being upset...This is *REC BALL*. The idea of coaching rec ball is not to make 50% of the parents on the team angry. A team will always going to have one or two unhappy parents, but when a team starts having 50% unhappy parents, then the coach needs to do a little bit more self-examination.

By way, here is a news flash for you: As the season progresses, the other teams will start hitting the ball better. When they start hitting the ball better, your outfield is going to get a lot of work. Since you are failing in teaching the kids how to play the game, you will get beat.

I agree. All the girls should be getting a chance to learn both infield and outfield skills in practice and sure, some of the girls who've been playing only outfield will be pretty rough. But you should be giving them an honest chance to earn more playing time and at the more exciting rec positions, or how can they be expected to stay motivated and eager to play? On the flip side, I think you're doing a disservice to your six infielders too. It sounds as though you consider them so much better than the other girls, that they have no real pressure to practice hard and perform well. One group has no risk and the other has no reward. That can't be the best plan for success.

Apr 5, 2012
Well I got a nasty email from a parent just dogging my coaching so bad that I was in tears. I had to contact the president of the league. I literally can not make everyone happy. Hopefully things are better that he got involved.

Apr 5, 2012
Ya I no when I got that email and seen that it was sent too all my parents I was like whoah! Contacting the president. Hope things get better now. . But today at the game I did rotate some positions. and I advised them we are going to do the game where they try out for the bases etc. Thanks for everyone's advice it just ended up getting so bad that I had to get someone involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd