Hydration products that work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
Shaklee Performance has been a lifesaver for a daughter who dehydrates and faints. No artificial flavors, sweeteners or added preservatives. Minimizes fluid loss, delivers full spectrum of electrolytes including calcium magnesium, maintains blood glucose levels. Will supplement with chewable calcium magnesium tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2013
We use Electrolyte packets. Be careful because to much is not good either. Drinking water alone is not a solution and Gatorade has too much sugar.

Take in a 1 serving electrolyte packet every 2 hours. They don't taste the greatest because they don't have the sugar in them. During the first hour drink only water (Gatorade and PowerAde have extra electro's). During the second hour you can drink a Gatorade, or the like, half filled with water (dump half out and fill with water). This was recommended by a sports physician.

Eliminate artificial sugars, as stated, natural sugars are okay i.e. fruits, vegetables (celery and peanut butter) and such.

Proteins with salts are also good i.e. Prosciutto and the like (with cheese if you like), peanut butter etc.

After the tournament is over splurge on the ice cream or cake and such then start again. We usually start prepping at the beginning of the week for the big tourneys. Please be diligent. Once someone gets heat stroke they are more susceptible to get it again. It can also cause many other issues i.e. heart related issues, organ failure and can result in death.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
When it starts getting hotter around here, I start hitting flavored water hard and heavy. I usually go for either lemon or grape as they are my favorites. It keeps the water tasting fresh...at least to me. Then every-so-often I'll hit the Gatorade or Powerade just to keep electrolytes going in my system. I'll usually do this on the lead up to field hockey season (I haven't played softball's summer season yet). I had seen someone on here say about a camelbak. How well do they work? Do they seem to hold a lot of liquid? Does your daughter just have water in there or does she drink something else in it? Can you put ice in it? If so, how long does it keep?

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Thank you for all the replies and input...great information Perfect Circle, really appreciate you sharing that. She does use a hydration program to start hydration 2-3 days prior to tournaments (including both food & drink), and continues throughout play and recovery. I was mainly curious about the hydration supplements that are supposedly more effective than sports drinks. One of the products I have been reading and hearing a lot about is the Advocare Rehydrate & Spark. Anyone tried those? Have heard great things, but everyone who has told me about it is also a "distributor" in their MLM network.

I'll check out the Shaklee Performance as well, thanks kjmpa. She is hydrating adequately according to her trainer and doc., but sometimes gets dizzy when she stands slowly from catchers stance. Sounds like it may be some sort of electrolyte or mineral imbalance my DD is having as well.

May 23, 2015
Drink several days prior to a tournament. Clear pee for 3 days drinking lots of water. Gatorade on an empty stomach will make you heave. Cut it 50/50 or 25/75 with water. Pedialyte is great also

I learned a trick from an EMT friend when I was playing tournament baseball. If you get super overheated place two ziplok bags of ice and place them on each of your jugular veins and you'll instantly cool down. in severe consequences you can put them on your armpits and crotch as well. You might eliminate a heat stroke

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Pickle juice is suppose to be very good if your DD can handle the taste. I also keep a bottle of Pedialyte in my truck for "emergencies", taste terrible, but is suppose to be great for dehydration.

The NFL puts pedialyte in their Gatorade containers in worst case scenario weather days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish