http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/29738-model-swing-yet.html

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Still cleaning it up... :cool:

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Hitting%20Fall/T%26R_HB.mp4" />
</video>

The kid is a hard worker! She definitely wants it, love the oppo......There is a lot going on with those arms. She is losing her coil, need to tighten up. Once your coiled and the scap is pinched, supiduct. Adduction of the upper arm and supination of the forearm. Turn that barrel.

Are you familiar with the command drill? I think that would be a great next step. Take all that movement out of it and let's see what we are working with.

Coil, pinch scap, torsion spring is tight...........Go!

Great way to find slop in the swing. Clean it up and try again. Once she realizes how to launch instantaneously try the full swing again.

I have no doubt she can get there....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
On the tee swings your DD has a 'hands level to the ball' swing. Hopefully not her game swing. I would like to see a ball set low(knee) and see what kind of 'adjustments' your DD makes. I'm hopeful for tilt of the body, front arm/elbow adjustments and not hands lower.
tumblr_og8rgyI8yf1usf292o1_400.gif

This is me 'nit picking'....Your DD needs to learn to 'turn the barrel forward with both hands. Seems to be rear arm dominate or bottom hand/arm seems to be along for the ride. I do like her lower body. I'm sorry for being 'nit picky' because that doesn't seem to be what posters what to hear. Again JMHO.

Can you elaborate? Do you think she is flattening then swinging? I feel like the arms are a little sloppy but she is getting some barrel depth. IMO She is getting close....

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can you elaborate? Do you think she is flattening then swinging? I feel like the arms are a little sloppy but she is getting some barrel depth. IMO She is getting close....

Looks to me more like....turning THEN go. I would like to see 'turning the barrel FOWARD towards the ball' with the hands not shoulder rotation.

Dec 4, 2013
Looks to me more like....turning THEN go. I would like to see 'turning the barrel FOWARD towards the ball' with the hands not shoulder rotation.

That wording worries me some. Yes, technically the barrel does go forward towards the ball. But for me personally, I know if I have that thought process in my mind I'm going to push, and get my whoosh out in front. I have to think snap rearwards in order to stay behind the corner. Seems illogical to think turn rearward, but that's what makes it click for me.....

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That wording worries me some. Yes, technically the barrel does go forward towards the ball. But for me personally, I know if I have that thought process in my mind I'm going to push, and get my whoosh out in front. I have to think snap rearwards in order to stay behind the corner. Seems illogical to think turn rearward, but that's what makes it click for me.....

tumblr_og8rgyI8yf1usf292o1_400.gif

I agree the barrel is turned rearward but, not turned first then 'dragged' forward with the shoulder rotation. The barrel needs to be going forward towards the ball the whole time. I'm sure we see the same 'slop'. I think if this hitter was FBC at the same time the turning of the bat/barrel towards the ball it would have helped. May be less 'stacked' over rear leg and more into/against rear leg will help.
Adding this gif because it's cool:
HarmlessEagerIndianrhinoceros.gif

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thx Gentlemen !!!

One thing I see I did wrong... We were coming back from cage, and I had her run to back yard to get this clip... I got sand in her hitting lane, and the pine needles fell this week...It was slippery, & didn't have on her cleats...That front foot slides out from under her... :{((

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yea!!! Nice clip of Donaldson Thx!!!!!! I was starting to get worried about that arch in front legt the end... looked almost double jointed... Guess it lookz like Donaldson :{))

Here is a bad one of Syd... shot in AV... trying to see some bat blur... not much :{)) but you can see the slipping...almost skating... my bad :(

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Hitting%20Fall/Slide_HB.mp4" />
</video>

You know I'll shoot it again :{)) with cleats, and get a one with of tee set @ knee height ...

Figure YOU can probably see something in a bad swing too :{))

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
re: foot slipping

PC,

For some reason, my computer isn't showing the earlier gifs, but I don't recall her front leg doing that "lock out" before landing (about 2-3 frames before her foot slips after landing). Her front leg straightens, then she plants it. Was she already worried about landing on the pine needles, or did she add this in recently in an attempt to keep her front knee more closed at foot plant?

And to echo other posters thoughts - kudos to your daughter (and you!) - just from the few clips I've seen, it really looks like she's up there trying to punish the ball, and not just "going through the steps". Thanks for including us!

Sep 17, 2009
That's a helluva hand pump. Does it keep the barrel connected to her power source? I think not, which is why she reaches back and powers her swing with her arms/shoulders, per Rdbass. I don't mind the front leg opening, I see you are patterning on Donaldson and that's in his swing. I'm not one to use scap clamp language but I do think he maintains his stretch/connection there and your DD loses it when she hand pumps so big. In other words, *feel* what Donaldson is doing rather than just *seeing* the surface look.

That said I like a lot here and love to see a kid work. Careful detaching the barrel from the engine and then take it to the field and hit, hit, hit and see where her big actions work and where they fail and then adjust again.

May 4, 2012
I stand by my previous comment. Still not seeing coil, if youre into that kinda thing. She's gonna be great when she figures it out, love her athleticism and intent

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA