HS - Do you have your ace pitcher go for the K's or the easy gounders?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think the number is a bit higher. Probably closer to 10% if you look at those averaging 1K per inning or better. As for the DD she is at 200+ so she is having a good year for a Freshman. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Keep in mind that most college ball is played in double headers. So a coach needs to have a pitching staff capable of delivering 14 innings of quality pitching. While every coach would love to have a power pitching strikeout pitcher, to GOINGDEEP's point the majority of pitchers need to make the most of their tools and have a competent defense backing them up. There is a lot to be said for a pitcher skilled in the art of delivering the ground ball, the double play, and who is stingy with the walks and the long bombs. With a low pitch count these pitchers can be very valuable at the college level by contributing more than a single game, possibly 2 in a single day. While it is desirable to have that pitcher that is dominant who can totally shut down another team, I will tell you first hand that when things go wrong it is not pretty. With power pitchers the wheels can come off very quickly. Conversely there is something to be said for the pitcher that delivers an inordinate number of quality innings with rock solid reliability. It is great to be able to dominate a team by striking out the side. But if you really want to put a team on the ropes step into the circle and throw a 3 pitch inning.

Dec 7, 2011
3 pitch innings are completely demoralizing for a team that may have struggled to get off the field on the previous last half inning.

It's almost like the entire opposite side of the field (players and folks in the stands) give a simultaneous groan-moan. It's like standing in front of a field of cows at feeding time :)

Oct 10, 2013
I couldn't get back to this conversation last night. But thank you to the folks who brought up that cat, Olympic team, Clemens and Ryan are the top. 001% pitchers in the world. There going to strike a lot of people out because they will throw to the batters weakness.

My DD throws pitches to strike girls out but I rather see her pitch 3 pitches an inning than 9-15. We don't have her throw drop after drop to produce ground balls. We will take a pop out on her rise, a strike out on her screw. We try to set up batters to hit her pitch or strike out. It's awesome when she can throw 38-45 pitches and turn around and be just as strong the next game.

Aug 13, 2010
My DD is the only pitcher on her team. The less pitches she throws, the better. However, her defense is horrendous. Damned if she throws to contact, damned if she doesn't. In my DD's case, I want her to go for the K (and quickly).

Aug 6, 2013
My DD is the only pitcher on her team. The less pitches she throws, the better. However, her defense is horrendous. Damned if she throws to contact, damned if she doesn't. In my DD's case, I want her to go for the K (and quickly).

Been here - The most demoralizing thing for my DD that year - more than the lazy leaker through the infield or the dropped pop-ups is the Dropped Third Strike and 2B on the error.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I just keep coming back to this. And our very own US National team, perhaps the most dominant team in nearly any sport in history, has always selected strikeout pitchers to fill its roster:

Fernandez, Smith, Granger, Harrigan, O'Brien, Finch, Osterman, Abbot .... all strikeout pitchers in their prime.

We get it. Nowhere in the 7 pages of this thread have I seen any response that says they'd rather have a ground ball than a K. The K is always preferable.

Mar 28, 2013
I don't get the either or attitude. Last weekend my 12 u DDs team played in a 14A tourney. She is primarily a strike out pitcher. First game against a team from Montana 3 innings ,9 k"s in ten batters faced. Great strike out performance and I did not hear anyone saying boy I wish she gave up some more grounders. Second game against a big second year team from Idaho. 3 k's gave up only 2 runs for the win, but she only threw 46 pitches in 4 innings. Same pitcher same pitches. D did a great job and got plenty of work. I think its more up to he hitters than the pitcher on how the game plays out.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Lothar & Cobb: Do our three kids pitch for the same team?

What you both describe are what the DD foes thru every game. She likes her team mates and loves playing school ball, but sometimes........

They are playing today, even though it snowed last night........its all melted and the opposition plays on Turf, so no puddles.

Jul 26, 2010
It's the pitchers job to make batters swing at balls. If they miss those pitches or if they hit them weakly for pop ups, foul balls, and easy grounders, it's all good. If the pitcher is throwing strikes more then balls, she has work to do.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd