how would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
DD is youngest player on competitive 12u team. Plays mostly OF here, has caught some and played a little 2B. Above avg defense. Average hitter, good speed. Game smart. Team manager and HC disagree on lineup and defensive positions. HCdoes not have a kid on the team.

DD has had 8 PAs in the last 3 tournaments. Generally splits time evenly inLF with another player. Today didn't bat at all in 3 games played and played 1 and 1/2 innings of defense. Talked to HC after 2nd game. He says manager is making the lineup and setting defense. HC thinks DD should play SS which is manager's daughter's position. DD didn't get game time until 3rd game when we were down 9-0.

I say we are fighting a lossng battle here and it's time to cut our losses and move on. Opinions?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
So either HC is right and she's not getting a fair shake, or the Mgr is right and she's not a strong enough player for that level...

No matter which one is correct, she's not going to get any better if she doesn't play.

Nov 29, 2009
Who the heck is in charge of the team????? The HC should ALWAYS have the final say so when it comes to the team. If he's letting a parent run the team then he is a weak HC. Or, if the team is structured so that his hands are tied it's not a good situation. Either way it's time to leave if things don't change.

Jul 26, 2010
Move to another team, perhaps a B league until she's hitting better. Offense is what will get her playing time, unless she's a catcher or an ace pitcher.

-W

Jun 12, 2012
Who the heck is in charge of the team????? The HC should ALWAYS have the final say so when it comes to the team. If he's letting a parent run the team then he is a weak HC. Or, if the team is structured so that his hands are tied it's not a good situation. Either way it's time to leave if things don't change.

Exactly! When we joined the team the manager said HC would set the lineup and make playing decisions so that it was done by a neutral party. HC admitted yesterday that this was a "misrepresentation" by the manager. Manager actually acts a co- HC. There is definitely dissention in the ranks.

Jun 12, 2012
So either HC is right and she's not getting a fair shake, or the Mgr is right and she's not a strong enough player for that level...

No matter which one is correct, she's not going to get any better if she doesn't play.

This is the really frustrating part. Mgr tell her she is doing great at practices- hustles, good attitude, great footwork, head's player, but when game day comes he forgets she's there.

She is learning to slap, so her hitting has been a little off while she adjusts. They have been having her work on it in games, but she generally only gets 1 at bat per game because they bat all on pool
play games, so it's hard to build a strong avg that way.

Jul 28, 2008
I don't know the coaches side or what they are seeing. I would say your next thing would be to sit down with both coaches and ask them, "In what areas does my little Susie need to improve at to get more dirt time?"

Then go from there.

May 4, 2012
We are in a similar situation. Our second year 12u AA/B level team (all 99's) has an HC and 3 AC's. With four coaches, there is your infield set. Those positions have not changed even though persistent errors are occurring. My DD is a pitcher. She can out field any of the infield we have but has not been given the chance. My DD is one of the smallest girl on the team, not a power hitter, and I think they just dont respect her for her size. She is our most consistent pitcher. She has not made any errors while fielding/throwing from the pitchers mound. Our other two will overthrow first base into the outfield at least once per game. Parents cannot understand the pitching choices.

So last tournament, coach decides to play and bat 9. We have 10 on the team. My DD and the other "percieved" weakest player split the outfield all weekend. My DD gets 1 and a half inning pitching, called in with bases loaded 1 out. Walked one in then got two quick outs.

My DD is not one of the weakest on the team, but that's how they play her. We are moving to 14u this fall, coach is dropping hints about bringing in 98's and even 97's to help us out. Well that just pushes my DD back even further.

We are not winning a lot of games. I have teams asking for my daughter to play on. I asked HC if he is losing confidence in her and he says no she's very good and works hard. Yes, she works hard. We practice on our off days, pitching lessons, and we hit the gym also.

Our strategy is going to be trying out for other 14u teams that will be posting this fall.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Was in same situation.HC no DD's on team but 2 AC's had 3 DD's on the team.AC's DD's played infield.Which left SS.DD was #2 pitcher on team.When not on mound DD played outfield.Numerous team errors.When DD did see infield game was out of hand.Last game DD told to sit on beach and cheer.When DD finally got into game team was losing 13-0.DD played 3rd, 1 ball hit to her makes play last out game over mercy rule.Team was not going to get better with not playing the best players at their best postions.We made the decision to quit.First time ever quitting a team.We were at the point that DD wasn't going to play no matter how well she hit,fielded or practice.Soon after we quit other parents pulled their DD's also because of the unfairness on the team.DD was able to join another team were she starts and is the #2 pitcher on team.We are much happierand all is good.If you don't play you will never get better.Find a team that your DD will get to play and prove herself.There is a team for her.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Must be a recurring theme late in the season. My DD sits but doesn't get answers that explain why. Some tournaments she has only 1 at bat, despite having a high OBP. She gets no credit for great plays, while others are praised for barely making a routine play.

Personnel changes and instantly change the dynamic. We went from batting the roster and rotating on the field successfully every game to batting 10 and benching players entire games. Player attitudes have tanked, Walking to a new team mid year might really impacted the original girls who committed to the team.

Before you walk from your team, consider what you may be doing to the team you join. I say stick out your commitment and make a different decision when tryouts roll around.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877