How would you attempt to rank the best 50 TB teams in the country?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IMHO, you would compile the travel ball teams for the players in the NCAA, and then categorize TB teams by the number of players in the NCAA, using some kind of weighting system. E.g., a player on Oklahoma is weighted more heavily than a player at Central Oklahoma.

That would make for some interesting rankings. Wouldn't necessarily mean they were the best teams on the field. For example, we played a team this year that had Auburn and Florida commits as pitchers, but they were 9th graders. But that would be a fun list to compile and would be objective.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think Flo-Softball put out some type of top 50 ranking. I think you have to subscribe to their service to see it.

If it's like their list of best 100 players, then it's dubious. But, their methodology would be interesting. I assume that they look at results of the various nationals and then talk to the coaches of those teams and do the guesswork from there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If it's like their list of best 100 players, then it's dubious. But, their methodology would be interesting. I assume that they look at results of the various nationals and then talk to the coaches of those teams and do the guesswork from there.

And consider who is subscribing to Flosoftball - that is +/- 20 points in a ranking right there.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is why I always call the various national tournaments a "mythical national championship". Win one and you are not a national champion. Rather you are the best team, at that tournament, on that day. Still a worthy accomplishment, but claiming a national championship is certainly a stretch. You just cannot do an apples to apples comparison when you have a mix bag of fruit with some vegetables thrown in for good measure. :)

I love this post. Our team recently participated in a "World Series" that included over 100 teams in our age bracket. A friend of mine competed in a different "World Series" with 36 teams. A different friend competed in yet a different "World Series" that included less than 20 teams. How many "World Champions" can there be? Nationals are just as bad. And don't get me started on State Championships. I can name 8 different teams in PA that are 2016 16u State Champions. As you stated, a worthy accomplishment, but does the win truly deserve the title?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I love this post. Our team recently participated in a "World Series" that included over 100 teams in our age bracket. A friend of mine competed in a different "World Series" with 36 teams. A different friend competed in yet a different "World Series" that included less than 20 teams. How many "World Champions" can there be? Nationals are just as bad. And don't get me started on State Championships. I can name 8 different teams in PA that are 2016 16u State Champions. As you stated, a worthy accomplishment, but does the win truly deserve the title?

Maybe they could do what NCAA football did. Take the best of each division and play a true national championship. Lol it would be as much of a joke as the football system is now. But I'm sure it would be fun to watch.

Nov 3, 2012
Maybe they could do what NCAA football did. Take the best of each division and play a true national championship. Lol it would be as much of a joke as the football system is now. But I'm sure it would be fun to watch.

Too much travel and not enough time and money. How many parents have money to fly their kids around the country every weekend. I don't know if determining a true national championship is even a worthwhile goal. I
think the point is, to find opportunities for kids to improve and for some to get them an opportunity to play at the next level.

It would be interesting to see how many national championships and world series events are out there.

PGF
ASA Nationals
ASA JO cup
USA Elite Select- multiple Nationals sites
USSSA
NSA A&B
USFA
Non-Affiliational national championship

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
IMHO, you would compile the travel ball teams for the players in the NCAA, and then categorize TB teams by the number of players in the NCAA, using some kind of weighting system. E.g., a player on Oklahoma is weighted more heavily than a player at Central Oklahoma.

US Club Rankings

US Club Rankings does it this way for the CPI Rank and based on high level finishes at the various national tournaments in the first column. Curious to see how things shake out this year.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
18U JO Cup in Atlanta had some really good teams in it this year - East Cobb Bullets - Schnute, Atlanta Vipers - Vallery, Gold Coast Hurricanes, and GA Elite - Hoover

You might be able to catch them at Atlanta Legacy too.

Lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA