How to instill discipline in 11yos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I need some good advice and techniques to instill discipline into a team of 11yos. At this age, I believe it is about fundamentals and also building the skills in those that are naturally rising, however, this is difficult to do unless there is good discipline.

What is a good way to instill discipline in 11yo girls. Each is at a little different maturity level, so they each will react a little differently to each method of discipline, whether it be running, push-ups, sitting out, not playing a game, etc.

Does anyone have a good discipline philosophy they care to share?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is only one discipline that works consistently--benching the players.

Bad coaches get into problems because they are afraid of losing. So, a "good" player bends the rules, the coach ignores it because he is afraid he might (heaven forbid) lose a game, and then the whole team becomes a zoo. You only have to bench your best player once, and then you won't have another problem with the entire team.

You also need to be a good, engaging coach that likes the kids, knows what she/he is talking about, teases the kids, and keeps the practices moving.

Really, most good coaches don't have a problem with discipline. We know what we want out of the kids. We are very clear about our expectations. If the expectations aren't met, playing time goes down. If expectations are met, playing time goes up.

Feb 9, 2009
sometimes, though, you can't bench them. Especially if it is rec ball...
What works for me? Running them. It is instant discipline for an action that they haven't forgotten yet! I will have the player, or players, run to the fence and back if I catch them watching people outside of practice, or talking while I'm making the most important point they will ever have heard...After that, it's a team jog. We have NEVER gone beyond the team jog. They learn quick, and they are VERY concerned with their team not getting mad at them...
But I am also quick to reward the good stuff, too. They remember that more...

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I definitely agree with making the team run, especially when you are in situations when you can't bench kids due to league rules. Today, there were several girls at practice that weren't giving their 100% and the entire team ran for it. It's getting close to the start of their season, we don't have time for the BS and I got that point across, in nicer words along with the running.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) If the kids aren't paying attention or aren't giving 100%, *YOU*, not they, are the problem. Good coaches run fun, interesting, challenging practices. They get a 150% out of the kids. They don't have to resort to threats or punishment.

2) You are intentionally inflicting pain on a bunch of kids playing rec ball. What is the difference between that and hitting them? You are playing -->REC<-- ball as in RECREATIONAL softball. Exactly how does intentionally hurting a bunch of kids fit into the concept of rec ball?

3) Running is ineffective as a way to motivate kids. I had two kids play college sports. They were in extraordinarily good shape. Running for punishment was a joke. Take a look at the kids as they run--some of them could run all day and all night, they could care less. Some of them might even prefer to run rather than practice. Exactly how are they being disciplined? And how about the kids they are struggling to finish? How is it fair?

4) Running is for conditioning, not punishment. Running has to be done in order to play the sport well. So, they may think, "I'm running because I've been bad," when in fact, they are running because they need to get in shape.

Get ACE certified and try to learn a little about coaching kids.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2010
Sluggers is correct. I have seen rec league girls with potential lose interest due to a coach enforcing military style tactics, YESSIR! They are at this level trying to figure out if they like softball. If they do and they move on, they will be subject to stricter methods and higher expectations. It is appropriate at that level.

My girls are more well behaved than teams coached with strict methodology. Most of the time a sharp HEY! from me will get them standing at attention. If it doesn't, I explain to them in front of their parents that I expect them to follow my instructions, for the good of the team, for safety, and so that I can help them improve. The parents and the kids all know I care about them. They have fun. Everyone gets a cool nickname, I encourage them to say hi to each other at school (many are from different cliques), and I teach them constantly.

So, if it's good behavior that you want, make the girls feel respected first. Remember that 11 year old's are smart enough to tell when someone is treating them properly. When they aren't you end up with a potential mutiny that you have to deal with all year long.

May 7, 2008
Self-discipline is the best discipline. The trick for a parent and/orcoach is helping the athlete discover their passion and a balance between encouragement or kick in the butt. Pre-adolesence is the most challenging!! As parents, it came down to good communication with our athletes, empowering them, and watching them suffer the consequences of poor performance (easier said than done). Important to remember, especially for male coaches, is the hormonal activity for girls that age. Their bodies are changing. Menstration is already beginning for some girls at that age (something a girl would never share). My husband is a former Marine : ) The "D" word around here means more than defense. I have watched him teach what it is to be a team player (over and over). Things really took shape after a couple of leaders on the team caught that vision and began talking up the game and being supportive. He uses the principle that you are only as strong as your weakest link, and he puts a lot of positive, firm energy there. His practices are tough. If you have seen the movie "Officer and a Gentleman" I would refer to Ma-yo-naise!! How she began and how she finished was a process. It takes months and even years (decades ;) to develop a strong work ethic and self discipline. My husband is often heard saying, "I am only trying to prepare you for your next coach..."

Jan 15, 2009
You need to have consistant rules per sluggers suggestion and for kids who really want to play, nothing gets their attention faster than riding the pine. Our rec level ball has the caveat that equal playing time can be suspended for disciplinary reasons, if yours doesn't allow that, it should and I'd bring it up.

Here is the real challenge with Rec ball, some of the kids are a disciplinary problem because they don't want to be there. Benching them means nothing to them, because they are being forced to play anyway. As a coach to reach that kid, you have to make them want to play/practice prior to being able to take it away (or threaten to) for disciplinary reasons. IF you can do that your really accomplishing something worthwhile.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
sluggers is absolutley right that you should not "punish" the girls with running; its ineffective and sends the wrong message about conditioning. In practice we set-up several (3 or 4) drill stations and rotate them fairly quickly so the girls do not have time to fool around, get bored, or lose focus. I also agree that the coaches need to be organized and lay out expectations from day 1. Lastly, we coaches are constantly talking to the players to remind them of a specific play, skill, strategy, mechanics, etc.; it keeps them in the moment of what they need to be doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd