How to handle a "helicopter dad"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have been coaching my DD and her teams up until this year and now she's on a 16U team that is coached by former D1 players. When DD was in the On deck circle I noticed she wasn't using the bat I thought she was going to use. I said: Hey, I thought you were going to use the other bat. That was it. After that game DD reprimanded me for talking to her during a game. She said the coach told her that parents should know the rules. Uh okay...whatever. Meanwhile, there is a dad in the stands that just yaps away when his DD is up to bat instructing her, giving her advice while batting. Now THAT is annoying and should not be tolerated at any level.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I would tell that parent to "Calm Down" and lets got over here to have a cerveza. There's a right way of asking people to do things.

I would simply make it in to a small joke, but to where he/she gets the point. Prime example is . "Hey dad, I hear the snack bar is really good!" OR "Would you mind stepping away from the dugout, your blocking my view"

If he/she still doesn't get it show them this video

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
DD's old organization had a "code of conduct" sheet for every player to read and sign, and a separate section for a "code of conduct" for the parents and the head of the org (not the coach of dds team) was at a lot of games/practices and had no problem what so ever calling parents out for such infractions. He would always say they are your kids all the other times, but during games they belong to me. It was strictly enforced that players were not allowed to leave the dugout without permission, and under no circumstances were parents allowed in, or near the dugout during games.

Sounds like OP's coach/or org head needs to have a reminder meeting with the parent.

Oct 7, 2014
Thanks for the ideas, for all the years our kids played sports we just sat back and let the coaches do what they do. Being a "non helicopter parent" this just annoys me. Making him the scorekeeper might work but then again he would be in the dugout then. How will these type of parents handle it if and when their DD's play at the next level ? (unlikely for this one). I will address this with the HC and see what happens. My DD isn't bothered by this she just plays and lets things roll of her back which is good and plays the game.

Feb 7, 2013
IMO, this is a non-issue and shouldn't be worried about. Your DD is 17yo and going off to college next year and should know by now to ignore incorrect advice from random parents in the bleachers. I don't think we give our kids enough credit for being able to handle some situations, especially ones that are relatively minor. In fact in this case, the "helicopter parent" might not just be the guy sitting 5 feet from the dugout....?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so I'm cut from a little different cloth. If this joker tries to coach my kid, then I'm not PC. I would let him know in no uncertain terms to stay away from my kid. I picked the coaches I wanted to coach my kid and he is not on that list. If he didn't stop then, it might get interesting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma