How to Determine Glove Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I have done multiple searches, but I can't find a thread that tells me how to determine glove size. My daughter is 11 she is 4'10/11"ish with a hand size of 5.25ish. That's what I measured from bottom of wrist to the tip of the middle finger.

She was using a size 11.25 glove, but we were told to get a 12.5. She likes playing outfield behind 1st base.......we were told she needed a larger glove to play that position. Plus its time...time to get a new glove. I got all my money out of that one.

The 1st of two 12.5 gloves came in and it looks huge. Her hands fit well inside and it doesn't seem like she has excess space in the fingers.....but man does the glove look HUGE on her hand......I mean HUGE.

Maybe it supposed to be huge to help with pop flys.....I don't know.....just trying to figure this out while we have time on our hands.

How can I figure out the right glove size?

Thanks,

Oct 26, 2019
I haven’t been in softball long but I think a 12” is the perfect size for a utility glove that can be used anywhere with the young kids. If they play infield mostly then maybe an 11.75 - anything smaller is too small for a young kid.

With baseball I saw so many kids with gloves too small for their ability. I told parents the glove should get smaller as they get older (And better), not the other way around.

With that said a 12.5 seems really large for an 11yo, especially if she is coming from an 11.25. I have also found that not all glove makers size the same. We have a Mizuno 12” and an all star 12” and the all star is definitely bigger.

Mar 28, 2020
I haven’t been in softball long but I think a 12” is the perfect size for a utility glove that can be used anywhere with the young kids. If they play infield mostly then maybe an 11.75 - anything smaller is too small for a young kid.

With baseball I saw so many kids with gloves too small for their ability. I told parents the glove should get smaller as they get older (And better), not the other way around.

With that said a 12.5 seems really large for an 11yo, especially if she is coming from an 11.25. I have also found that not all glove makers size the same. We have a Mizuno 12” and an all star 12” and the all star is definitely bigger.
yea that is what I am thinking.....I think I am going to send one back to get a better measure. With all the stores closed I can't go to a Dicks sporting goods to check. thanks for the reply

Oct 26, 2019
The 12” all star vela is in their website for $60. It’s a great glove and hard to beat at that price. I coach a 10U team and have convinced about half the team to buy it - I should get a commission!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

I have to agree with everything here in Towny’s post. An 11 year old needs a 11.75” / 12” glove, unless she’s a huge 11 year old a 12.5” glove is too big, and probably too heavy.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What gloves did you order?

I know I put my suggestion in for 12” glove.........but I just recently recommended a 12.5” All-Star System Seven trap baseball glove to a middle school baseball player AND a middle school fastpitch player, both parents bought them.

I was shocked at just how light and how tight the hand stall was on both of these kids new gloves! Just a thought.

I worked on both gloves, adjusted the wrist on the girls glove and beat on both of them with my trusty traveling dumbbell, since both of these kids are outfielders I worked with them both on using the glove TIP with their index fingers inside.

You did only mention she plays outfield, right? This trap glove is not an infield glove!

May 16, 2016
My DD's have been using a 12.5" glove since they were 9. Both using Mizuno Prime. I think the larger glove helps younger players learn to catch confidently. As long as it's a youth glove, with small hand stall, it will work well. You definitely DO NOT want an adult 12.5 inch glove for a 11 year old. Been trying to get my DDs to upgrade (12u and 14u), but they refuse to give up the Mizuno Primes.

Mar 28, 2020
What gloves did you order?

I know I put my suggestion in for 12” glove.........but I just recently recommended a 12.5” All-Star System Seven trap baseball glove to a middle school baseball player AND a middle school fastpitch player, both parents bought them.

I was shocked at just how light and how tight the hand stall was on both of these kids new gloves! Just a thought.

I worked on both gloves, adjusted the wrist on the girls glove and beat on both of them with my trusty traveling dumbbell, since both of these kids are outfielders I worked with them both on using the glove TIP with their index fingers inside.

You did only mention she plays outfield, right? This trap glove is not an infield glove!
don't know if this is meant for me, but......I got her the 12" VELA™ UTILITY BASKET WEB FIELDING GLOVE I returned the 12.5 and ordered this one......so there should be a right 12.5 back for sale in a few days. Looks like a grabbed the last 12......and yes she loves rightfield......she likes backing up 1st and not letting deep flies get by her.....she says she is always moving at that position.....and no one else likes it....the coach wants her to move to 2nd or ss due to her speed and quickness, but she loves right field......she wants to rob someone's home run....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi