Book - mental toughness or other softball related favorites?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Looking to get my teen daughter a new book or two for Christmas. Anyone have a favorite mental toughness or other softball related book?

Apr 28, 2014
Chop Wood Carry Water- Joshua medcalf

Pound the Stone - Same Author

Check out the reviews. Used by as several D1 softball programs

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
mentally tough teens by Justin Su'a He has the 144 character generation down. Each page is a short "chapter" on mental toughness. has a great podcast 5x a week "increase your impact" it's about 2-4 minutes long. I gave this book to every player on my 12 and 14 u teams. They all loved it. My DD looks at it regularly.

and for parents Parent Pep Talks-Justin Su'a

Sep 21, 2017
PA
mentally tough teens by Justin Su'a He has the 144 character generation down. Each page is a short "chapter" on mental toughness. has a great podcast 5x a week "increase your impact" it's about 2-4 minutes long. I gave this book to every player on my 12 and 14 u teams. They all loved it. My DD looks at it regularly.

and for parents Parent Pep Talks-Justin Su'a

I second this one. I’ve had multiple players read it, and as they go through it make lists of skills they do well and ones they need to improve. Justin did a great job writing this for the HS/MS athlete who doesn’t have a ton of time to sit and read in length.

I’m not as big of a fan of Joshua Metcalf’s new stuff as I am his older, but I had quite a few players really enjoy Burn Your Goals, by him.

We read The Hard Hat, by Jon Gordon as our team book last spring, and it went really well.

It’s a basketball book, but Toughness by Jay Bilas is really good. One of my favorites.

Let me know if you’d like more options. I’d be glad to help out.

Jan 8, 2019
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, so would be happy to hear opinions before I set out to do so, but I have heard that "Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance" by Angela Duckworth was excellent.

Dec 11, 2010
DANG! Did you guys buy all the copies of Mentally Tough Teens? Two sawbucks for a used copy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802