How should DD handle Parents suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is not about playing time or concerns on a team she plays on so I disagree that at 13 she should be the one talking to the coach. If she wants to then fine. However, as a parent, I would go to this coach and mention that this became a bad experience, name the dad that stepped in and let this coach know that my dd would not be helping unless something is done about parents interfering. It isn't worth it to destroy her good intentions.

I mentioned that my dd drove back from college last year to help coach a 10U team. She had the same thing happen. In fact, this one parent announced in front of all of the parents as they picked up their dds that my dd didn't know anything about playing softball, pitching and especially, hitting. She then announced that my dd was not to work with hers. The difference here is that the HC didn't put up with this stuff and asked this parent to remove her child from the team. She did not but after this year's tryouts, that player did not make the team. BTW, she was last in hitting long before my dd started working with the team. DD was trying to give his child more time because she was so bad.

What a shame that someone wanting to give back is treated this way.

Feb 21, 2012
I agree with Cannonball, a young person volunteering their time to help the team should not be treated this way. They would not treat another adult coach that way for sure, so its total lack of respect.
The head coach needs to be made aware of the situation and needs to correct it.