How many hitting lessons per week?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
So i was asked this question and i have no idea the answer, if there is a correct answer. My DD is a slapper and a teamate wants to begin lessons. My DD sees a hitting coach usually once a week. The parents of this other girl asked if their daughter should take two or three hitting lessons a week. They asked me what i thought. Other than burn out, i said i guess it will help her. How many lessons does your DD take a week? Would 2 or 3 lessons a week be too much? Maybe for just a month or so? Thoughts?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Lessons are great, but practicing at home to reinforce what she learned during her lesson is equally important and promotes muscle memory. This is why it is beneficial for the parent to attend the lesson and pay attention. Practicing at home is also a lot cheaper than paying for more than one lesson/week!

May 17, 2012
Lessons are great, but practicing at home to reinforce what she learned during her lesson is equally important and promotes muscle memory. This is why it is beneficial for the parent to attend the lesson and pay attention. Practicing at home is also a lot cheaper than paying for more than one lesson/week!

This is the best answer. I always explain it like this:

Games are the equivalent of taking exams.
Batting practice is the equivalent to attending class.
Working on your swing on your own is doing homework.

If you don't do your homework you have little chance of doing well on the exam. How much homework you need to do is different for every student.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
Thanks for all the replies...I dont know the parent/practice situation, how often they work with their daughter. The girls wants to learn how to slap. I told them it is a lot of work, and a very different swing, footwork for all the different types of slap hits. I think thats why they were asking about multiple lessons. Thanks again for all your replies.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
To be a slapper takes work by the student. Lot's or practice without an instructor. DD would set up cones and practice for hours hitting the ball where she wanted to on the field. After learning the correct foot work and bat control it's up to the student!

Oct 19, 2009
JMO it is more important on time spent in between lessons to reinforce what is taught. Seeing a quality coach who can make adjustments and give the student goals and objectives to work on in between lessons.

A lot depends on the quality of what is taught, age and dedication of the student. There is no one right answer IMO.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Once a week seems the norm, Hitting is as much mental as technical. Lessons generally help confidence wise, more reps also usually means more success. I think its probably an individual thing. I know my DD's enjoy "small" group sessions, keeps it more interesting than the "homework" and works out keeping cost down. Twice a week in the off season is their routine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24