How long until the face mask rule is in effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Last fall, my clean-up hitter turned on an inside pitch and smoked the 3rd baseman in the face. She had a mask and hte force of the ball drove the chin protection (wire Rip-it style) into her upper lip and had to leave the game as blood was coming out of her mouth. I hate to think what would've happened if she was not wearing a mask.

Likewise, 3 years ago in HS ball, I saw a pitcher take one in the face. The force of the ball lifted her off her feet and she laid flopping in the circle screaming as everyone called 911. No mask and she was lucky the damage was not permanent.

My feeling a compromise would be corners and pitcher must wear a mask due to the reduced reaction time on a rocket shot.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
This will probably never be a mandated rule. As a league official and parent, I encourage my girls to wear them and advise the parents of the consequences. Bout the best anyone can really do................

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This will probably never be a mandated rule. As a league official and parent, I encourage my girls to wear them and advise the parents of the consequences. Bout the best anyone can really do................

One would think that this should be enough.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Window dressing. Again, like in softball, players may wear any safety equipment they wish while in the field. "Ball cap liners" have been worn by players for over 60 years of which I am aware and are still available. Richie (Dick) Allen used to wear a batting helmet in the field, 40 years ago.

The pitchers at the most risks are those who fail to finish their deliveries under control of their bodies (think Juan Marichal). Those players would be helped by these "protective caps" assuming they would remain on their heads.

Jan 21, 2013
Our Association made them required for all age levels for all in-field players. The year before, it was pitchers it was required. At the 8 and 10U level all players wear them, that is a coaches and parents choice. My daughter is required to wear hers if she even wants to look at a ball, 2 broken noses from pop flies and line drives.

I was a huge supporter of this change in our club, it is a safety thing. If the younger girls are afraid to catch a pop fly or field a hard hitting ball they won't learn to be effective. Our 8U program has worked hard to make sure the youngest players start with confidence.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
One of the Rec Ball organizations here in MD tried to make them mandatory for pitchers. The commissioner had sent out an email saying that the masks were now NOASC approved so they were now mandatory. Well he then retracted that a week later when he realized that NOASC had not placed their approval mark on the masks and it didn't look like they would anytime soon. There were parents threatening to pull their girls from the Rec organization because they were going to be forced to wear a piece of equipment they never wore to pitch before. Plus the Rip-It masks (the only ones I prefer for girls who do choose to wear them) are nearly $50 each and most of these Rec parents don't want to put out that kind of money for Rec Ball around here.

My thougth process is this, if you are comfortable wearing one, wear it. If you're not don't. Almost every girl on my team has the masks, but do not care to wear them. I tried wearing one to field balls and felt like it hindered me. So if a girl and her parent decide they don't want to wear them, I don't push the issue.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One of the Rec Ball organizations here in MD tried to make them mandatory for pitchers. The commissioner had sent out an email saying that the masks were now NOASC approved so they were now mandatory. Well he then retracted that a week later when he realized that NOASC had not placed their approval mark on the masks and it didn't look like they would anytime soon.

I believe you mean NOCSAE I don't believe they apply their approval until there is a test to a specific standard and that will not happen until such a standard is developed and set.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
I believe you mean NOCSAE I don't believe they apply their approval until there is a test to a specific standard and that will not happen until such a standard is developed and set.

Yes, I meant NOCSAE. I knew someone would correct it if I got the abbreviation wrong.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I am in no way an advocate of the "forced" use of masks and agree with many that it is the player's and parent's choice to use whatever protection they want.

However, DD was at a D1 camp last weekend. One of the D1 players told the girls attending the camp, that if they wore a mask at the camp while playing 1B or 3B the head coach would scratch them off of his list of prospects. This comment was backed up by one of the assistant coaches as well. So the messaging from at least this D1 school is don't wear masks if you expect to play for them.

My DD wears a mask currently when she pitches and has for years also worn it at 1B and 3B. Due to comments like the above she is feeling pressure to not wear the mask in order to keep playing.

If the ASA or some other body decides to mandate the masks... that has no impact on colleges. You might end up with a bunch of girls getting crossed off the list.

btw... at the camp DD did not wear hear mask and she performed well. She is considering dumping it altogether.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA