How long until the face mask rule is in effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
As I understand it, umpires aren't required to wear masks behind the plate, but they do. The ball comes back at fielders much faster than it comes in to the batter. Use the same commonsense that the adult behind the plate uses.

Coaches of teams can require whatever they deem to be in the best interest of the team and player. If you truly care about your players do the right thing, not necessarily the most popular thing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR...while I agree with you in principle, I have to say that I disagree with you in general. The NFCA has totally disregarded the men's FP pitching rules in both the national and international rules as far as replanting goes. They have decided to take a top down approach. Why in the interest of our childrens' safety, as both parents and organizations shouldn't we take a bottom up approach to this issue? Even the NFL is doing studies now on how to limit concussions and is doing more in mandating player safety in the younger age groups. Why shouldn't the NFCA and professional softball be doing the same things in limiting injuries in softball?

The NFL is simply protecting their investment and business. If you didn't notice, the NFL didn't blink until the lawsuits started to actually get into the courtroom.

You want safety, play whiffle ball. Whether you like it or not, every activity in which one partakes includes an inherent danger. One ELECTS to take part in the game. Expecting the game to change simply because AFTER you elect to partake you have decided the game should adjust to you instead of you adjusting to the game. Its just about a ludicrous as people who move next to a farm and then file lawsuits to stop the use of fertilizer.

Look at it from another angle. Don't want to put the defenders in harms way, tell them not to charge the plate. Have the pitcher not take a 6'+ stride. It is the players who are being coached into putting themselves in harms way.

Just about now, there will be a claim it has to be that way to defend the bunt. Fine, let's get rid of the bunt. Now, the "traditionalist" will scoff at the idea of outlawing the bunt. Little do people know that the bunt has not always been legal in the game of softball, and yes, I'm referring to the game of fast pitch. Wonder why that was? Could it be for the safety of the defender?

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As I understand it, umpires aren't required to wear masks behind the plate, but they do. The ball comes back at fielders much faster than it comes in to the batter. Use the same commonsense that the adult behind the plate uses.

Coaches of teams can require whatever they deem to be in the best interest of the team and player. If you truly care about your players do the right thing, not necessarily the most popular thing.

Nor is there a rule requiring the players, any player, to wear a glove on defense! OMG, how can that possibly be that the players wear gloves when not mandated? Does anyone honestly believe there are parents that would allow their DD to play without a glove? Well, what is the difference between that and a face mask, if one deems it necessary for the protection of the player?

Oct 25, 2009
Nor is there a rule requiring the players, any player, to wear a glove on defense! OMG, how can that possibly be that the players wear gloves when not mandated? Does anyone honestly believe there are parents that would allow their DD to play without a glove? Well, what is the difference between that and a face mask, if one deems it necessary for the protection of the player?

Many believe that the glove IS the protection for the face. Some learn by the school of hard knocks. I don't know any players that I would like to learn that way. I do know a few parents who should.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I played prior to batting helmets being mandated. We hated them. Now, a girl wouldn't think of batting w/o one. I do think that masks will become a rule. The right people aren't pushing for it, yet.

A mom I am close to, wants her DD to wear one (top pitcher). She asked me, if she should make her. I refused to tell her what to do. But, I wear one. Most accidents that I see happen during practice and warm ups. My granddaughter sees me wear it and she has no problem wearing hers. Coaches need to wear the face masks, if they are going to require it of their DDs. Too many dad's are catching w/o face protection.

Jan 25, 2011
I have to say that it up to the parent. I all most lost my dd this year at the least she could have gone blind to a head injury playing basketball ball. She had brain surgery to save her, I had posted the story about it on this site in January. I still get some what teary eyed talking about it as brings back the feelings of fear I had for my dd's life. My dd will be wearing a lacross helmet in the 2013 year and from then on. She and I know that people will be talking about her wearing it and some people will more then likely could be a jerk about it. She also is worried about how college coaches will feel about it when she starts in the recuritment process. I think if you can prove yourself on the field, then what can they say, but still not sure either. But back to the OP it is a game, the parents have the last say on safety, not the org., we have enough rules in this world.

I think Ben Franklin, said " Those that give up a little freedom for safety, deserve neither freedom or safety" I myself will take my personal responsabilty for my dd and I.

May 25, 2010
Thank goodness. At least there are some folks out there with common sense.
Won't last long. The same people we're hoping have common sense are many of the same ones who came up with the brilliant idea to allow metal cleats on the field for 14u players.

Oct 25, 2009
I have to say that it up to the parent. I all most lost my dd this year at the least she could have gone blind to a head injury playing basketball ball. She had brain surgery to save her, I had posted the story about it on this site in January. I still get some what teary eyed talking about it as brings back the feelings of fear I had for my dd's life. My dd will be wearing a lacross helmet in the 2013 year and from then on. She and I know that people will be talking about her wearing it and some people will more then likely could be a jerk about it. She also is worried about how college coaches will feel about it when she starts in the recuritment process. I think if you can prove yourself on the field, then what can they say, but still not sure either. But back to the OP it is a game, the parents have the last say on safety, not the org., we have enough rules in this world.

I think Ben Franklin, said " Those that give up a little freedom for safety, deserve neither freedom or safety" I myself will take my personal responsabilty for my dd and I.

Not sure that Ben meant that you are free to run across the freeway any time you choose to.

Hope your DD is doing well.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
3 years ago my DD took a hard shot up the middle and
we were thankful she had a mask. She wears it pitching and
at 1B as she still has not overcome the fear of what could have been.
She recently tried out for an elite travel club and the coaches never
asked her about it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
11 YO DD wears a face mask and pretty much always has. DW heard some horror stories from parents across the street that have an older DD playing TB. Our DD was the 1st one the wear one on her Teams, 8U, and is still one of the few that wears one consistently. She pitches and used to play 3rd and never has been close to getting hurt while playing the field. This is a parent decision, it will be interesting when she gets older and is allowed to make her own decision to wear one or not.

If a club or Team wants to have a rule about facemasks I am OK with that as long as everyone knows what the rule is before they signup. Right now I am not in favor of it getting to the National organizations level. If it did there is going to be something in their rule I didn’t like anyways.

I like the safety bag, them trying to control the bats, examining the ball, etc. I suppose pitching plate distance falls into the safety category too but I can always armor her up some more if I think she is too close to the pitcher/ batter, again our choice.

I like everyone having to wear a helmet but do not care one way or another if the face guard on it was required.

IMO, the national organizations should just stay out it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC