How Important Is a Pitching Instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2008
My daughter will be playing in her first year of 16U next year and she has not taken pitching lessons in over a year but they are asking her to pitch next year because of a shortage of quality pitching at the tryouts. Last year she decided that since she was probably not going to pitch on her HS team or go on to college to pitch that she was going to focus more on the other parts of the game. Now that they are asking her to pitch again more frequently she wants to go to an instructor again because she does not want to get hit against next year. I told her that we already know all of the drills and she pitches a Fastball, knows 3 changeups that she usually only pitches one of, a cut fastball, drop, curve and rise ball. She still does not plan to pitch for HS or go on to college to pitch so I said we can just focus more on this over the winter without going to an instructor. Any thoughts?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If she doesn't plan to pitch after TB, I wouldn't waste time or money on pitching lessons.

I told her that we already know all of the drills and she pitches a Fastball, knows 3 changeups that she usually only pitches one of, a cut fastball, drop, curve and rise ball.

Must...not...write...snide...remark...

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My thought is that a pitching instructor would be very valuable. Your DD may know all of the pitches that she feels that she needs, but an instructor offers many intangibles. My DD's instructor has instilled in her the need to be acurate, acurate, acturate - I can't say that word enough times. Her instuctor also has done a wonderful job in making DD "bomb proof" - constantly throwing situations at her so she's seen it all and knows how her body is going to react in a game. These are things that I, as her parent, really couldn't do.

Jul 24, 2008
I do not understand the additional comments below the comment by Sluggers. "Must not write snide remarks"

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Instructor is important,how important well,you'll see next year.I coach my DD in pitching.Would a pitching instructor be better sure.Do I like to eat,you bet.I just don't have the x'tra money.So I learn as much as I can.Have a look at Internal Rotation sticky at the top of this forum and check out I/R in the classroom both started by Boardmember.Alteast you will have more mom/dad(not sure)time with your 16 year old DD.That's important.Right?

Jan 25, 2011
I do not understand the additional comments below the comment by Sluggers. "Must not write snide remarks"
I think it is how many pitches she throws. It is properly what college coaches hear from so many girls and what daddies, brag about.

Jul 24, 2008
I am not bragging just trying to get some useful information. Those are the pitches that she has learned to throw and uses them to a varying degree of success. When I dont put all of the information on a thread everyone always asks for the information when I do put the information on the thread I get this.

All I asked was for some input from people that are supposed to willing to help and I thank those that have given me that input it is much appreciated.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My DD had a lot of conflicts with her pitching lessons one summer (16U).
As a result she struggled a couple weekend tourneys. Took her to PC before states
for a little tweak. She averaged 2 k's/inning at states and took her team to the finals.
I vote yes on the pitch coach to get her tweaked and your decision as to how she stacks
up vs competition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp