How did your DD(or you) get involved in Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s friend talked her into playing softball so they could spend time together. The friend who talked her into it quit the Team before the actual games started. She was uncomfortable with softball, it was not for her.

DD is still going strong. :)

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Well I am coach...no daughter but a son...was subbing at Sayville HS in NY and wanted to volunteer for the baseball team! Softball varsity Head Coach said no, I need you to help me with the softball team!! I said that I know nothing about softball...she said can you run OF drills and teach them to crowhop and hit the cutoff person? I said yes...she said the rest I'll teach you so here i am now 9 years later and I am a travel team head coach!!

Mar 13, 2010
My family has been in the sport since the 60s, and my mum was a state pitcher. I was at the softball field as a newborn! Hanging off the back of the net at 2 begging to play in my mum's team. Was put into a t-ball team at age 3, finished the game and asked when we were going to the pub! (tradition after games for my club)

Didn't start pitching until I was 18. Dabbled with it as a little girl but got the 'you'll be as good as your mum' and dropped the ball. Playing for a different club and our pitcher was out injured and one of the girls I'd gone to primary school with said I'd pitched as a kid, so I was put in. Struck out the first three batters, walked off only to see my mum with her head in her hands going 'Why didn't you do this as a kid? You'd have gone state!'

Jun 22, 2008
When my daughter was about 8 she came home from school one day and said she wanted to play baseball. I said you mean softball, no, baseball. She wanted nothing to do with softball, she wanted to play against the boys. She played baseball until she was 13 and kept telling me no every time I tried to steer her to softball. She actually played on the LL JR allstar team, but at 13 it was obvious she was never going to keep up with the boys any longer. Talked her into trying out for a softball club team and she decided she liked it. Now plays D1 ball.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I started playing t-ball. When I got too old for that, I wanted to play softball like the big girls I'd seen. I asked my mother and she didn't know there was a 10u team, so I didn't sign up to play. Then, the following year I got onto the 10u team. Now at 18, I'm a senior in HS & playing Varsity. I also help coach 10u, 13u, and 16u at the association that started it all.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
My oldest DD did gymnastics from 4 until 7th grade and switched to softball. Why, I have no idea really. She played freshman year in high school and then TB. She quit playing for the HS and switched to the HS gymnastic team but kept playing TB. Got offers to play D1 but didn't want to play in college.

My youngest DD started with volleyball and played at the national travel level since 7. She started playing softball at 9 for something to do during the summer. As she hit HS age, she "retired" from volleyball and went softball full time. Once she put on the catcher's gear, it was love at first play. She wants to play at the college level (at least right now - who knows with teenagers).

I've been a taxicab service since.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I was talking to a mom of DD2 one day when our girls were 5. She was telling me about coaching her DD's tball team. I asked if there was room for more and I put DD2 on her team. At this point we didn't even have a softball in the house. As the season started DD1, then 9 almost 10, started asking to play. Couldn't get her on a team until the fall.

DD2 played 2 spring and 1 fall season at tball and then moved up and played 1 fall season of PM. She is just now back on a team after a 1 year absence (because the coach filled the roster without contacting us when I had JUST had a baby). Oh well things all worked out for the best!

DD1 played the 1 fall season of 10U. Played that spring at 12U and then fell in love and decided she wanted to play in college. Only problem was she was a horrible player. She worked HARD that fall/winter and made drastic improvements in her catching and throwing and some hitting improvement. The next season at 12U she had loads of fun and just made her mind up even more to play in college. She is now at 14U and we shall see how this season goes. She is on a team that doesn't seem to be as competive as she is. 1st game is tomorrow!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In the early 60s we all played baseball in a neighborhood yard. We would be Mickey Mantel, Roger Maris, etc. Funny, that we were all girls. Then, a family friend started a team and a friend that was 2 years older than me, joined. When I was 10, (1964) I joined, too. We played all over Central IL. and every town had a team.

I took some time off in the mid 80s, and had 3 babies in 5 years. They didn't play on a team themselves until they were 10ish, but they played with their friends and I was working with them every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad