"Houston, we have a problem!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
We have the same recording of Houston we have a problem. I personally find it a humorous quote and so does everyone else in our stands. I am curious did the quote hurt that pitchers feelings or the fact that she gave up runs in the first? These quotes and snipits are played at our local college also. It is suppose to be fun. It was played when my dd was not having a very good game and was in the process of being pulled. She mentioned that she could not find the zone, the coach was upset, the girls were supportive, but not one word about what went thru the loud speakers. I really do not think the volunteer announcer was trying to be ugly towards any player, just entertaining. Some people like it some do not.

Jul 2, 2013
We have the same recording of Houston we have a problem. I personally find it a humorous quote and so does everyone else in our stands. I am curious did the quote hurt that pitchers feelings or the fact that she gave up runs in the first? These quotes and snipits are played at our local college also. It is suppose to be fun. It was played when my dd was not having a very good game and was in the process of being pulled. She mentioned that she could not find the zone, the coach was upset, the girls were supportive, but not one word about what went thru the loud speakers. I really do not think the volunteer announcer was trying to be ugly towards any player, just entertaining. Some people like it some do not.

We would simply not do it at our high school. It is definitely against the rules. It is an easy call.

If others do it in your state, and in college in your state, who am I to argue.

In our state, I have never seen it. If I did, I would make a point to explain that the rules of softball forbid the use of this tape in the circumstance described. And that it makes other folks who know better look down on the teams who choose to use it.

If you want to laugh, cajole, at a player who is working her butt off, and is then being taunted by the PA system after a tough outing, have at it.

We do not play that type of softball where we play.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We did play the Jeopardy theme music when the umpires ( and or coaches ) held a conference on the field. Usually got a few good laughs from every side.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It is just a true story. No complaints. High School softball is a gentile sport, at least it should be. The rules are defined pretty clearly.

NFHS "rules" have no force other than what local associations provide.

It has nothing to do with being Politically Correct.

You're right, it isn't a PC issue, but one showing the continuing disintegration of the nation's backbone and personality. But, that's JMHO.

Jul 2, 2013
I may be wrong about the "rules". It is still taunting in my opinion.

It is the advent of audio snippets more than anything else. People think that automated audio snippets are different for some reason. They are not. If a group of players yelled at a defeated pitcher "Houston, we have a problem" it would not go over well at all. Put it in a fancy audio snippet, and is it different?

We have walk-up songs, music in between, and introduction music. All this music is carefully screened by the high school administrators, coaches.

Maybe it is just a different opinion on my part. I am open to other opinions. The music, and announcing technique, is often used to gain a home field advantage. I would be lying if I said I announce everyone the same. I do not. The other team does not get walk up songs. Occasionally I will call out defensive plays for us, and omit the opposite teams.

I also have a specific line for announcing to try to find balance. I feel the line was crossed here.

Other teams can really say what they want I guess. Push it too far, and the opposing team walks away with a bad impression of the team, the town, etc. Do it as best you can, and opposing team walks away with respect for the team, and town, even when they get beat.

As I get older, and more experienced at announcing, I find that I now talk less, and not more. I think the fans may get more enjoyment out of more silence, and less noise.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It is the advent of audio snippets more than anything else. People think that automated audio snippets are different for some reason. They are not. If a group of players yelled at a defeated pitcher "Houston, we have a problem" it would not go over well at all. Put it in a fancy audio snippet, and is it different?

My brother is 10 years older than me, his senior in HS they had a pretty dominate team, runners up at state championships. They only lost 4 games all year, at the end of all those victories I remember the team would wish the opposing team a safe journey home by singing the lyrics..........."Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye".

I don't remember anyone crying, fighting, or harsh words back and forth. I'm not sure that would fly today, sadly.

Jul 2, 2013
I cannot speak for baseball, or any of the male sports.

For our high school softball team, respect for the opposition is the norm. We win, at least did last year, and most of the opposition hates us. But not because of disrespect issues. That goes all the way to the twitter feeds, and other digital media the players use.

We are a little down this year, Cannot find the magic. Find competitive softball is harder with a big target on your back, and super high expectations.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We have this idea that people are more easily offended today than in the past. Not sure that is true. It's just that different kinds of things offend us than in previous generations. Meanwhile, people are more tolerant (or resigned) to rudeness in general and taunting in particular than we've ever been.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As MTR pointed out, these are merely recommendations, but here is more from the NFHS on how they expect PA announcers to behave -

1. Don’t be a “fan” or a “cheerleader” behind the microphone.
2. Use proper language at all times.
3. Never criticize or belittle players, coaches, or officials – or the opposing school.
4. Don’t attempt to be “bigger than the game” by becoming the “play-by-play commentator.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1