Homesick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
Most schools, except elite schools (such as the Ivies), will accept AP credits. You typically need a 4 or 5 for credit, but if you understand the material, that should be within reach. At our public HS, about 75% of kids score a 4 or 5.

With regard to the teacher with only one passing student in 3 years - either that teacher is not effective, or those kids should not be in an AP class.

Aug 14, 2011
My DD just got home a few days ago from her first semester at a major D1. This was her dream and she's getting a top notch education. We missed her horribly and she was terribly homesick. But she loves it, had a great time, made lots of friends and made the dean's list. Why do I think it's going well for her so far? Who knows? She traveled extensively with her travel team, learned how time management is a key to success, got her business done, has a team of great girls/friends for support, great coaches and support staff, values a good education and has her eye on the prize. And no, she didn't come home once until Thanksgiving (she's four hours away). Maybe that all had something to do wth it.
There are so many great comments and observations in this thread but the fact is: every girl is different. There are too many variables to predict and there us no way if knowing who will be happy in this "business"and who will not. We can try to up the odds, but who knows what the secret is.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
This is a great thread. We are in the midst of these types of discussions now with my DD. The school factors for her are:

1. Good elementary education curriculum. She has always wanted to be an Elementary school teacher.

2. One easy day drive, or 4 hour flight in/out of a major hub (cheaper flights).

3. Really like and respect the coaching staff.

4. Play with other girls she can get along with.

Will she be homesick? Heck yes, anyone who doesn't is either strange or has a horrible homelife! The one thing my wife and I (both college degreed professionals) harp on is education...but DON'T turn down new opportunities when she is young. She is a very outgoing person with a good sense of humor, and she makes friends within a few minutes of coming into a room with a new group of people. The key to that is getting her to step foot into that room.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD and her catcher, went to U of IL. for softball camp, in 7th grade. My DD was pretty well rounded and understood that it was for 3 days. On the other hand, her catcher was crying and wanting to go home. I know her pretty well. She is 25, now - and she still wants to be home. She is a young mother with 2 kids and she is a homebody. No amount of forcing her, would have gotten her to go to college. She was raised in a hectic household, where she was the parent from a young age. Her mom never did mature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild