Hitting the outside pitch without trying to pull the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqShArRJnk

Hes talking about throwing the barrel. Like this^^^

You do a good job of what saying not to do but you have few answers. Lets focus on what should be done.

Yes to throwing the barrel.

No to palm up to extension and the maintenance of a 90-degree angle between the barrel and top hand forearm.

210yfsm.gif

ian

Jun 11, 2015
How do you describe the hands at and just after contact? How would you describe the hitters hands in the gifs you posted? Can you hit a 2 iron?

What no gif of Clark?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How do you describe the hands at and just after contact? How would you describe the hitters hands in the gifs you posted? Can you hit a 2 iron?

What no gif of Clark?

Educated wrists ulnar deviate into and through impact.

What we see here with the bottom hand wrist is a blocking action that restricts the release action.

210yfsm.gif

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks TJ.

Back to the subject at hand. Ive had more luck hitting the outside pitch in front and not letting it get deep. Im able to drive the ball harder and keep more balls in fair ground.

Sep 17, 2009
How do you describe the hands at and just after contact? How would you describe the hitters hands in the gifs you posted?

Throw the top hand past the bottom hand to finish (ie, not before or into contact, but AFTER).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Mostly all the girls that swing away on DD team are having trouble hitting the outside pitch to the opposite field during games.
They can do it in practice and we do it on a regular basis. We have discussed the importance of being able to hit balls to the opposite field, but in games they either don't swing at it or they try to pull it. Any advise?

No specific advice, but wanted to emphasize how important this skill is with regard to playing in college. When a college coach watches hitters at a showcase the ability to do something productive with an outside pitch is a very significant plus. As they say softball is a game of chess and you cannot approach it with a checkers mindset. Pulling an outside pitch is the mental equivalent of tic-tac-toe.

As to advice on what to do, I would ask what are you currently doing? Unfortunately most of the "hitting practice" I have witnessed over the years is singularly focused on hammering away at fat pitches down the middle. It amazes me how many coaches and hitters practice hitting a pitch which as a PC I would consider an epic failure on the part of the pitcher.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I agree with rise, practice hitting the outside pitch.

I understand the cookie cutter approach of one swing type, letting the ball get deep on outside pitches and swinging early on inside pitches. Thats playing the odds and its a safe bet. Nothing wrong with that.

Some hitters are able to adjust to pitches in, out, up and down. Ive heard Tony Gwynn and Barry Bonds talk about looking for an outside pitch and then adjusting for the inside. But I believe they both like to hit the outside pitch in front of the plate.

Mar 11, 2009
No specific advice, but wanted to emphasize how important this skill is with regard to playing in college. When a college coach watches hitters at a showcase the ability to do something productive with an outside pitch is a very significant plus. As they say softball is a game of chess and you cannot approach it with a checkers mindset. Pulling an outside pitch is the mental equivalent of tic-tac-toe.

As to advice on what to do, I would ask what are you currently doing? Unfortunately most of the "hitting practice" I have witnessed over the years is singularly focused on hammering away at fat pitches down the middle. It amazes me how many coaches and hitters practice hitting a pitch which as a PC I would consider an epic failure on the part of the pitcher.

Riseball I pitch to the girls outside, inside and always try to keep the ball on the corners. It just seems the players don't practice it enough on their own to get good at it, and to trush their swing in games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06