Hitting Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not so sure about that. :D

In my experience, most player-parent conflicts on the ballfield are best resolved by the parent getting the hell out of the equation. That said, occasionally a player needs a time-out for some attitude adjustment.

Mar 26, 2016
Ok specifics and I will reword, she has been told a lot of what to do about hitting and it seems it just goes in and out of one side to the other. So excuse me if I reword it my phrase wrong I apologize. I do get on her when she messes up and I do praise her when she does well. Yes I am a hard dad at times. But ever since she started at a pee wee age that's all I ever heard from every coach she has a gift. So maybe I should go out to left field and eat a bag of seeds.She listens to the coaches very well its me she doesn't at times. Even her mother has chimed in and she hasn't listened. She has 2 very good hitting coaches maybe its a time thing when she hits 13 or 14 when her power really kicks in.As for these tests they were done with video radar stuff I couldn't tell you what the devices where called but at 12 she is hitting at a sophomore junior level.They did some power skill how fast the ball comes off the bat some thing like that and they said she has very quick hands and great power. I truly think when some of these girls on the team that don't give a shirt brings my daughter down and when the team doesn't play well she doesn't but she should, as far as the criticism she hates it I will always tell her the truth but being a little spoiled which is my fault she doesn't take it well .I guess I will sit back like I did today we won she went 1-2 slow game.We are 2-0 in the tournament so far we Play tomorrow.Thank You for all your comments

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As I said before, it sounds like your DD is behaving pretty typically for her age - listen to coaches, ignore dad. As a coach on my DD's team, I will often ask another coach to instruct my DD on a particular issue, just so she will listen to it - LOL.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... she has been told a lot of what to do about hitting and it seems it just goes in and out of one side to the other. ... I do get on her when she messes up and I do praise her when she does well. Yes I am a hard dad at times. But ever since she started at a pee wee age that's all I ever heard from every coach she has a gift.

Still would be curious to know what specifically she's being told to do in hitting. If it's a small adjustment in her stance, then yeah, that should be pretty easy. If it's a significant mechanical change, then that can take months. One of the hardest things in softball is making significant changes in hitting when you also are feeling pressure to produce. I don't know if this is related, but you concede that you get onto her when she messes up, and when you gave a report on her game today, you said she went 1-for-2 (the result) but didn't comment on how well she's doing what her coaches are telling her (the process). Kids can get conflicted about that.

Also, I don't think whether a child has a gift would affect how I parent (push) them. I'd be more interested in nurturing her love of the game than her talent for the game. The love has more predictive value, IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok specifics and I will reword, she has been told a lot of what to do about hitting and it seems it just goes in and out of one side to the other. So excuse me if I reword it my phrase wrong I apologize. I do get on her when she messes up and I do praise her when she does well. Yes I am a hard dad at times. But ever since she started at a pee wee age that's all I ever heard from every coach she has a gift. So maybe I should go out to left field and eat a bag of seeds.She listens to the coaches very well its me she doesn't at times. Even her mother has chimed in and she hasn't listened. She has 2 very good hitting coaches maybe its a time thing when she hits 13 or 14 when her power really kicks in.As for these tests they were done with video radar stuff I couldn't tell you what the devices where called but at 12 she is hitting at a sophomore junior level.They did some power skill how fast the ball comes off the bat some thing like that and they said she has very quick hands and great power. I truly think when some of these girls on the team that don't give a shirt brings my daughter down and when the team doesn't play well she doesn't but she should, as far as the criticism she hates it I will always tell her the truth but being a little spoiled which is my fault she doesn't take it well .I guess I will sit back like I did today we won she went 1-2 slow game.We are 2-0 in the tournament so far we Play tomorrow.Thank You for all your comments

Hope things work out.

Jun 12, 2015
Also, I don't think whether a child has a gift would affect how I parent (push) them. I'd be more interested in nurturing her love of the game than her talent for the game. The love has more predictive value, IMO.

I soooo agree with this. I wonder how many girls have had softball ruined for them because some coach or instructor told her parents she had a gift. I know a few who I think are very talented, but I bet will quit within a few years because of the way their parents act trying to make sure they take full advantage of their "gift."

Jun 8, 2016
I soooo agree with this. I wonder how many girls have had softball ruined for them because some coach or instructor told her parents she had a gift. I know a few who I think are very talented, but I bet will quit within a few years because of the way their parents act trying to make sure they take full advantage of their "gift."

There is a happy medium that needs to be reached which is somewhere between never telling a kid they are any
good and acting as if they are Babe Ruth. I think in this century more parents seem to be inclined to lean
towards the latter attitude and it is reflected when I get them in my University courses...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Peanut, being a parent is the hardest job a person can have. Factor then that you have your child's best interest at heart and sometimes it seems like they are their own worst enemy. Still, it is a journey for them and you are along for the ride.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez