Hitting Advice - college freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
She looks very tight and forced. In disc golf, we'd say she's "strong-arming" it. I think I'd have her go to the cage with the thought of having a relaxing session. No technique, etc.; just taking some hacks because it's fun to hit stuff :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She looks very tight and forced. In disc golf, we'd say she's "strong-arming" it. I think I'd have her go to the cage with the thought of having a relaxing session. No technique, etc.; just taking some hacks because it's fun to hit stuff :)

There is something I would teach her, although I agree. She needs to swing the damn bat while figuring out how to get the butt into the swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My suggestion with this swing that is missing the 'turn the barrel to the ball':
tumblr_nomgwfP0ga1usf292o1_400.gif

Added:Tee placed to far out front.
Drills:
TeeDrillRH.gif

RyTee.gif

Added:Tee placed at front foot.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
It has been a couple of weeks since I posted and got your advice. I appreciate all the help. Unfortunately, we have only had a couple of chances to work on things. Primarily we worked on turning the barrel a bit and getting the hips going sooner. Last night was her first attempt to put any of it into play in a local league with other college girls. (sorry for the angle and quality - just an iphone video) The timing piece is still a work in progress but she did hit a couple of balls pretty hard. I like the improvements and can see that she is driving the ball better. I think we still need more separation although it is hard to see from the angle, I do not see the hands staying back. She has also developed kind of a "double load" for lack of a better description with her front foot and I am not sure if that will continue or is just something she is doing as she works to get timing with her new mechanics. I would welcome any input and comments about what she needs to improve on.

https://youtu.be/kMESa6j0XJw

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Your daughter
All back , all forward.

She needs to work on her sequence. Like throwing..... the hips go forward as the hands go back.
My daughter could have stretched abit more but, you should get the idea of not loading everything all back all forward.

The pro shows a better example of hips forward hands back

Straightleg

I still see the same thing. Still give the same advice.
Work on sequence of hips forward (out to toe touch hips move forward), hands go back (or walk away from hands)... create the space between hands and back hip.

Look at hand location when all three hitters are at toe touch. (compare that to your dd)

SL

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks. I see that now that you point that out. We did not focus much on that as I thought turning the barrel would help with the separation. We will work on that. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks. I see that now that you point that out. We did not focus much on that as I thought turning the barrel would help with the separation. We will work on that. Thanks.

I work with hitters 4 days a week. Never told one to turn the barrel. Its a non-teach for me. Also pitch location determines when you turn the barrel.
You turn it (right now) as some on here claim, on a inside pitch, you will have an all arm swing....
Poor advice IMO...

Most girls that push their throw, push their bat.
Fixing throwing mechanics helps a lot with not pushing the bat.

SL

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It has been a couple of weeks since I posted and got your advice. I appreciate all the help. Unfortunately, we have only had a couple of chances to work on things. Primarily we worked on turning the barrel a bit and getting the hips going sooner. Last night was her first attempt to put any of it into play in a local league with other college girls. (sorry for the angle and quality - just an iphone video) The timing piece is still a work in progress but she did hit a couple of balls pretty hard. I like the improvements and can see that she is driving the ball better. I think we still need more separation although it is hard to see from the angle, I do not see the hands staying back. She has also developed kind of a "double load" for lack of a better description with her front foot and I am not sure if that will continue or is just something she is doing as she works to get timing with her new mechanics. I would welcome any input and comments about what she needs to improve on.

https://youtu.be/kMESa6j0XJw

When you load early, what happens. You pause.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I work with hitters 4 days a week. Never told one to turn the barrel. Its a non-teach for me. Also pitch location determines when you turn the barrel.
You turn it (right now) as some on here claim, on a inside pitch, you will have an all arm swing....
Poor advice IMO...

Most girls that push their throw, push their bat.
Fixing throwing mechanics helps a lot with not pushing the bat.

SL

Body at work, hands calm until the right time, will force/produce quickness.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877