Hitting Advice - college freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 9, 2012
Long time reader but never posted before. I have been working with my daughter (freshman at a small D2) on trying to generate a bit more power. She did not get to play much as a freshman and we are trying to add a bit more pop and transition into more of a power hitter from a line drive hitter. I have read / re-read all the hip drive threads and reviewed all the model swings. We are trying to change her bat attack angle into a positive to lift the ball a bit. Our first attempt has been to "sit" into the back hip more and then try to finish high. We have also stressed drive into the front side but do not to get up onto the front foot. BTW - we have been working with the zepp for the last couple of weeks to try to fix that attack angle. I would appreciate any input as we work to remake her swing this summer. I guess I should mention 5'9' and about 155 or so - currently swinging XLT 34/25 (new 2 weeks ago)

[video]https://youtu.be/5yncMXPkPQM[/video]

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In my non-expert opinion, I think she takes her hips with her hands rather than take her hands with her hips. That is, I think she could get more power if she unwound a bit more from the ground up (or hips up).

Further, I believe she could benefit by getting her feet a bit wider apart when she strides. I think the width of her stance at contact is just a bit too narrow.

Jul 6, 2013
Her hands are leading everything. She is pushing the bat. Her hands are leading her hips. Everything is starting with the hands.

There doesn't appear to be any separation. As she goes to toe touch it looks as though her hands are already coming forward. Jmo.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
After her "load" her forward momentum very briefly stops. It isn't one fluid motion and I don't see her bottom half being used. I would work on a walk up drill.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I'd like to see video of her doing self-toss. I'd bet she'd show better separation, explosiveness, and be in a good sequence-it happens more naturally. I'm not a big fan of the tee but I bet after a good dose of self toss every time she goes out followed by front toss doing the walk up drill etc... she'd be knocking the snot out of the ball.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Your daughter
All back , all forward.

She needs to work on her sequence. Like throwing..... the hips go forward as the hands go back.
My daughter could have stretched abit more but, you should get the idea of not loading everything all back all forward.

The pro shows a better example of hips forward hands back

Straightleg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nomgwfP0ga1usf292o1_400.gif

Here where the 'problem' starts:
tumblr_nomil3biIL1usf292o1_500.gif

Watched your DD's older videos. I still see the 'knob to the ball' in her swings.
Learn to 'turn the barrel to the ball' and your DD will play more and have more pop or your money back.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the advice / tips. I think we will spend tomorrow's bp with walk-ups and self-toss. We have lots to do. I agree with the "hands leading the hips" problem which seems to cause her not to use the lower half. So RDBass - are are saying you see the knob - is that because of lack of separation? Can you give me a bit more detail on what you mean by "where the problem starts"? Is it the hands leading problem or weight shifting to soon or exactly what? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877