Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Bouncer hit to third baseman, who fields the ball cleanly. Throw is in the dirt, but scooped cleanly by first baseman. Batter is safe.

If ball had been thrown sharply to first without the bounce, batter is out. But the ball was fielded cleanly on both ends.

Hit or error?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks! ... That's what I figured. I understand that a fielder being 'slow' or making a 'soft' throw to first is not grounds for an error. Just wondered if a ball in the dirt might be different for some reason.

Mar 13, 2010
I'd say error. It was a poor throw that stopped the out being made. If a clean throw bad been made and the runner was safe then a hit.

If first base had missed the ball, would you give an error to third still?

Feb 4, 2013
Error. Official definition "If a throw is low, wide or high, or strikes the ground, and a runner reaches base who otherwise would have been put out by such throw, the official scorer shall charge the player making the throw with an error."

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Error. Official definition "If a throw is low, wide or high, or strikes the ground, and a runner reaches base who otherwise would have been put out by such throw, the official scorer shall charge the player making the throw with an error."

Thanks. ... What are you quoting? I've got no problem if that is the case, but just curious about it.

In this case, the fielder delivered the ball to the glove of the first baseman. It just got there too slowly. I wonder why a ball in the dirt would be treated differently than a failure to put enough mustard on the ball to get it there quickly.

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks. ... What are you quoting? I've got no problem if that is the case, but just curious about it.

In this case, the fielder delivered the ball to the glove of the first baseman. It just got there too slowly. I wonder why a ball in the dirt would be treated differently than a failure to put enough mustard on the ball to get it there quickly.

Its the official scorers book from mlb. I figured it would be the same but I will look to see if I can find a difference in softball. Link Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Trick is "who otherwise would have been ..." How do you know? Suppose that ball is thrown by 3B on the run? You might say runner would have/should have been out but then again, great effort by 3B and so should not be an error. (OP said ball fielded cleanly but that does not mean ball could not be left or right or ...) Hit is what I'd call it unless there were other circumstances where I definitely knew that the 3B took too much time. Also factoring in this is arm strength, fielding position, fielder positioning, ...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the ball had gotten away from F3 after the bounce, I'd score it E-5. Based on your description, however, I'd probably score it a "hit". If it would have taken an exceptional effort to make the play, and the fielder didn't pull it off, I find it hard to charge them with an error.

It's a hit all the way as soon as the 1st baseman made the scoop. That constitutes a "good" throw because the 1st baseman was able catch it. Ironically, if the 1st baseman would have scooped and then dropped the throw, it would be scored E-5 because the throw struck the ground.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd