Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Growing up I never used a helmet when riding a bike. I never thought I would need one but would be laughed at if I did. Now it's the law so I do and no one laughs because they all wear one too. If they made facemasks a law it would take the stigma away. If they leave it to choice of course no one is going to want to wear it except those who are brave enough to not care about the stigma or those who have been injured before.

My dd has never worn a mask but I wish she did. Her face is just too pretty and it would crush me if anything happened to it that maybe a simple rule could have stopped. Softball is just a game. Why the need for the tough guy, it should be a choice mentality. It's not a choice in a lot of states for motorcyclist and bicyclists to wear a helmet. It's not a choice for a batter to wear a helmet. There is enough anecdotal evidence to mandate the wearing of a facemasks by at least pitchers. It probably should just be a game rule. The stigma would go away almost immediately and we can all not worry about our DD's pretty faces.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think you should volunteer to throw BP for your DD's college team from @ 38 feet with nothing but a glove....since you are not worried about hitting mechanics you can just focus on dodging the bullets hit back up the middle.....

To my question, are you or are you not advocating screens for pitchers? If not, then why not?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Growing up I never used a helmet when riding a bike. I never thought I would need one but would be laughed at if I did. Now it's the law so I do and no one laughs because they all wear one too. If they made facemasks a law it would take the stigma away. If they leave it to choice of course no one is going to want to wear it except those who are brave enough to not care about the stigma or those who have been injured before.

My dd has never worn a mask but I wish she did. Her face is just too pretty and it would crush me if anything happened to it that maybe a simple rule could have stopped. Softball is just a game. Why the need for the tough guy, it should be a choice mentality. It's not a choice in a lot of states for motorcyclist and bicyclists to wear a helmet. It's not a choice for a batter to wear a helmet. There is enough anecdotal evidence to mandate the wearing of a facemasks by at least pitchers. It probably should just be a law. The stigma would go away almost immediately and we can all not worry about our DD's pretty faces.

Just to be clear, your position is that state or local government should intervene in this issue and pass legislation mandating the use of face masks? Would this be for pitchers only? Would they be mandatory for both games and practices. What constitutes a practice? Is bucket dad activity considered a practice? What about a casual pickup game? Would a parent or coach be criminally liable if their child or player did not wear a mask? Who will enforce this law? Will the police make spot checks at games and ticket or arrest scofflaws? If a player is wearing a mask and is seriously injured will parties be immune from civil action? How would a face mask be defined? Who would be the approving authority that would deem the mask as "official"? What agency would test the masks and what testing standards would be used? If a mask fails would the manufacturer be held liable? These and many, many more are all questions that must be answered if we are to proceed down the road of rules and laws.

Passing a rule or worse yet a law is typical Pollyanna knee jerk solution. But when it is all said and done it is never as simple as it seems.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I strongly suggest that my pitchers and 3B wear masks (12u rec), but even though Bollinger would most likely cover me in the event of lawsuit, I'm not going to MANDATE something that has not been tested and approved as a safety device by a legitimate authority or sanctioning body.

This is similar to the reason I don't tell kids that they HAVE to slide.

Our culture is constantly evolving, but at this time, I believe the decision to wear or not wear a mask is best left to the parents and players to make. FWIW, my daughter wears a mask at those 2 positions and has been since 1st year 10u. There was never any argument about it at all.

Great points. People fail to understand that if you mandate it then you own it. Given how litigation happy we have become as a society I am sure there are plenty of attorneys that will move forward on a lawsuit.

Jul 31, 2011
I will say once you've had it happen to you, or see an injury on a teammate, you look at the mask very differently.[/QUOTE]

I agree. What amazes me is how many people see facial/head injuries happen in softball, and still don't support wearing a mask.

In addition to protecting a player's facial structure, and expensive orthodontic work, a mask could possibly prevent a concussion. If you have never read about the long term after-affects of teens with traumatic head injuries, it's worth doing the research. Much different than head injuries in young children or adults.

I am a believer in the value of masks. My daughter agrees they serve a purpose, but still argues about wearing one...even after a broken arm from being hit by a line drive on the mound. Like the previous poster mentioned, the sound of that ball coming off the bat and the crack of that bone breaking were like the same sound...no-one can react that fast. My daughter has a quick glove and is a good fielder on the mound, but that hit was crazy fast.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I agree. What amazes me is how many people see facial/head injuries happen in softball, and still don't support wearing a mask.

In addition to protecting a player's facial structure, and expensive orthodontic work, a mask could possibly prevent a concussion. If you have never read about the long term after-affects of teens with traumatic head injuries, it's worth doing the research. Much different than head injuries in young children or adults.

I am a believer in the value of masks. My daughter agrees they serve a purpose, but still argues about wearing one...even after a broken arm from being hit by a line drive on the mound. Like the previous poster mentioned, the sound of that ball coming off the bat and the crack of that bone breaking were like the same sound...no-one can react that fast. My daughter has a quick glove and is a good fielder on the mound, but that hit was crazy fast.

There is a big difference between being a supporter and believer of the mask and supporting or advocating a sweeping "law" mandating it.

I wish there wasn't the stigma attached too.

I believe in it and my DD uses one pitching and when playing 2B up to last week. She used to even wear it in CF because she was so comfortable with it. Let me be a parent with my DD and everyone else parent their DD. Make a choice, but we don't need people forcing their beliefs and values on others.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55