Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
In addition to protecting a player's facial structure, and expensive orthodontic work, a mask could possibly prevent a concussion. If you have never read about the long term after-affects of teens with traumatic head injuries, it's worth doing the research. Much different than head injuries in young children or adults.

I am a believer in pitchers and corner infielders wearing masks because it will protect them from broken bones and serious facial trauma. However, a mask does not prevent a concussion. A concussion occurs because the force of an impact on the head causes the brain to shift within the skull. No matter how well padded, a face mask will not prevent that sort of injury, just as the most advanced football helmets available do not prevent concussions. Please do not spread the false notion that face masks can do things that they are not designed to do.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
It's changing in the northeast. When my sisters played, I never saw a mask. Now I see more and more mask use. I believe every player on DD's U14 team owns a mask. All the corners and pitchers wear a mask. On the High school teams (V and JV) 3 of the 4 pitchers wear a mask. All three play for different TB orgs.

Dec 29, 2010
So Cal (i think state) starter was wearing the worth mask. Definatley see more college players using them. Knights has a thread right now showing players using them. I said it before I will say it again, until u see it first hand, live in person a pitcher getting hit in the face, u will change your stance about your kid wearing one. Not the team, no mandates, your kid. You are the parent, until she is 18 or the time she leaves the house its your rule not theirs.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
One of the things proponents of the mask have to stop saying is. The mask protects expensive orthodontics, or I spent $4k on her smile, I intend to protect it...

While it may be true, it devalues the true purpose which is to stop injury from occurring. People could care less about how much money something might cost you, but most people don't want to see kids get hurt.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Really wish MLB would start setting examples. I think we are seeing more and more MLB players (and umpires) get hit by line drives. Recently, an Astros prospect got one in the face...imagine if that was a softball. -_-

MLB-LineDrive-to-Face.JPG

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Really hope that girl recovers and that it doesn't affect her mental game in the future. And I really, really wish DD would wear her mask. Unfortunately, I think she's one of those who needs to see it to believe it. :(

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I just placed on idiot on ignore. I'm going to enjoy this site so much more now.

I wonder why there is a stigma attached to wearing a mask? Oh, because some of you with huge egos want to attack those others that want 12 year olds to be safe. Tough people. I won't go as far as to say that maybe you should experience it first hand watching yours get drilled but ... As I've said multiple times, mine was drilled in the face 2 times. I prayed that she was not dead. Some of you like to brag about how good your dd is in the circle. It only takes one time. My dd was exceptional as well in the circle and beat some of the top TB teams in this nation. Yet, she was not good enough to avoid those line drives. Seeing her face swell up and the blood coming out of seam cuts on her face and then rushing her to a hospital is enough to make me a supporter of mask.

I want to take the time to say that I hope that young lady pictured is going to be ok. I know first hand how her parents feel. GoingDeep knows first hand how they feel. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. Now a couple of you go ahead and brag again how great your dd is in the circle and how she doesn't need a mask because she a stud and never leaves it fat.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's changing in the northeast. When my sisters played, I never saw a mask. Now I see more and more mask use. I believe every player on DD's U14 team owns a mask. All the corners and pitchers wear a mask. On the High school teams (V and JV) 3 of the 4 pitchers wear a mask. All three play for different TB orgs.

I don't see but a couple of added ( 16u and above ) girls using a mask each year in our area. What I do see is a significant increase of users from 12u down. Perhaps the "stigma" age girls are filtering out ( by age ), and the new/younger players on the block don't have feeling of "disgrace" as more of their peers are participating with its use?

This might be why the orgs are not jumping to make the mask mandatory, I bet the trend of younger users is not specific to my region.