High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD has some mental stigma when it comes to HS season. If she's not playing HS ball and is playing TB instead, she is pretty good. We do play the competitive circuit so I have no clue as to why she bottoms out during HS season. Pre-district - she was on fire batting-wise; don't ask me about pitching - she would rather help out in relief than start so it's probably that she doesn't like pitching as much as she likes hitting. Shrug. From end of February through all of March and maybe first two weeks of April, she just bottoms out - period. In pre-district play, she was on fire at the plate; district play? Not so much - and the competition isn't that different (except one tournament where we were definitely above par with other teams). Anyway, I'm just glad this is her last HS season - ready for TB but so sad it's her last TB season. No idea where she's going to school yet.

Mar 29, 2017
Wow Bob, that is horrible. I cant believe that the coach would hold games missed against her for a college visit. Get through this year and then hopefully she will make V next year.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Just about every program I know has the rule, "miss a game - sit a game." Otherwise, every player would be missing practices or games that parents deem not important. Also, going to away games is a part of being on the team. No one, at least on the team I coach, has a promise to ever play. It is the same with practice. You are expected to be committed to the team. Bob, if it is as bad as you describe, take your dd off of the team. Why would you want her to be that miserable? I absolutely advise my parents that if they don't like what I do or coach, take your child off of the team. You had better believe I would have done so with my dd.

Mar 29, 2017
I understand and agree with the miss a game sit a game, miss a practice, sit a game approach. To me and the HC of our team the only excusable absence that will not be held against you is a college visit. Schedule changes suck and are sometimes at the worst possible times/days.

We are having a rough time with the HC and my DD1. HC is the V coach, but my DD1 is on JV team. They practice together and he basically controls both teams, so when she gets to move up to V the only difference will be he will be coaching her games also. She's not looking forward to it, but fortunately she can deal with it because its not as bad as your situation Bob. We gave her the choice and she still wants to play thankfully. My real concern is when my DD2 will be on the team. The program as a whole is very weak in pitching. DD2 is the starting V pitcher for JH as a freshman and some of the HS coaches have told me if she keeps it up, will likely be the starting V pitcher in HS as a freshman. The HS HC has a habit of riding one arm as long as possible though, so I worry she may get overused.

Mar 29, 2017
Hopefully her friends on the team can pull her through the rough spot. That is what has been helping my DD1. She has friends, mostly on the V team (that also say she should be on the V team) that have been helping her deal with the constant getting yelled at, singled out. My DD has also gotten closer to her "competition" at her spot in the field. Girl actually told my DD that she thought DD was going to be the starter for V at their position and was amazed when she found out DD wasn't even on V.

Sucks watching your kids go through stuff like this cause of Coaches, with no apparent reasons why.

Feb 13, 2013
Then, at the parents' meeting, the head coach announced that any girl who missed games during spring break would have to sit out an equal number of games. Not miss the games, but actually travel with the team, often way out of town, and sit on the bench as punishment. Oh, and she had changed the schedule. No longer 2 games for that week, but 5. This means that out of a 20 game season, DD 3 will have to miss 10 games, 5 of them sitting on the bench, travelling with the team and watching the other girls play, and probably lose some games they would've won had she played.

Sounds like my daughters coach. Even an excused absence for a games means you miss a game, unless you are a certain player.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse