High School Softball Check in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
DD team has their first scrimmage today ! Young HS team with two seniors, a bunch of 9th graders and one 8th grader. One of the seniors is the returning starting pitcher who has mono, looks like my 9th grade DD will be the starting pitcher. Should be fun !

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DD team has their first scrimmage today ! Young HS team with two seniors, a bunch of 9th graders and one 8th grader. One of the seniors is the returning starting pitcher who has mono, looks like my 9th grade DD will be the starting pitcher. Should be fun !
Good luck to her and the team!

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Tryouts start on Monday. Last year the Varsity team went to 6A state. They have lost some very good seniors and we are lucky to have a lot of travel ball players that go to our school, but since they only field 2 of 4 possible teams quite a few girls do not come and tryout. They would rather play the spring season against the Missouri teams (they play fall softball and Kansas is in the Spring) with there regular teams. They need to start expanding their squads now because in the 2017/2018 school year another high school opens which will pull a lot of talent out of our school. Expect the varsity and JV team to have a .750 season and Varsity to make a run in Regionals with a good chance of returning to State.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This thread may have already gotten me in trouble with my DD 1. She quit softball after her freshman year, and is a senior now. This thread inspired me to ask if she will try out for this year. I don't think she appreciated it. :mad:

Nov 16, 2015
Iowa here. First day of Practice is MAY 9. My DD will have played 5 tournaments with her travel team prior to first day of high school practice. She's an 8th grader and looking like she will be playing 8th, 9th and some JV along with her travel ball schedule. June is going to be awesome. She is pumped and so am I

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Iowa here. First day of Practice is MAY 9. My DD will have played 5 tournaments with her travel team prior to first day of high school practice. She's an 8th grader and looking like she will be playing 8th, 9th and some JV along with her travel ball schedule. June is going to be awesome. She is pumped and so am I

I've wondered how TB works in Iowa, where the softball (and baseball) seasons are in the summer. Most states do not allow kids to play TB during the HS season. DD 3 has played 12U Iowa teams in season, but those teams wouldn't go dark anyway. Can the TB teams play in the summer?

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
March 7th for tryouts here on Long Island!! Should be better than last year. New Varsity Coach and I'm now the Asst Varsity Coach. Going to surprise some team I feel!!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's team has done well so far against mediocre to not very good teams. I am not looking forward to district play where they will be pulverized. I expect them to be run ruled often since we just don't have any high caliber pitching. The teams in our district are a murderer's row with half of the girls on each team already committed. Our team: With 12 on the team, 5 are upper class men with only 2 in the starting lineup. Our freshman are making some noise with 2 of them hitting HR's already. Warning Dad Brag: DD started the season batting 8th slowly working her way around the lineup ending up batting 4th yesterday.

For you Texas high schoolers out there, I heard that TASO(umpires) has been told to increase the height of the strike zone to the arm pits. I have seen it first hand and can't see the girls putting the bat on the ball that high. Parents are going bonkers in the stands. LOL.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
For you Texas high schoolers out there, I heard that TASO(umpires) has been told to increase the height of the strike zone to the arm pits. I have seen it first hand and can't see the girls putting the bat on the ball that high. Parents are going bonkers in the stands. LOL.

One of the things I dread most about HS ball are the TASO umpires. Sub-standard. Never have I seen such inconsistent strike zones, bad calls by field umps, etc. I think DD gets way more frustrated with HPU than with ASA/USSSA/PGF/etc umps. Also, one of our players was targeted last year by TASO umps...she was ejected twice. Her senior year. Granted she was extremely competitive and probably should have muttered under her breath more quietly one time...but the other time was absolutely wrong.

That's all I got to say about that. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy