High School Softball Check in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
Season Starts March 7th. Tryouts consist of "can you walk and chew gum at the same time" and "not trip running to first." (Ahh...the small school life. :) ) DD is a Freshman and will see Varsity Mound time. First Game is the end of March. I am looking forward to it. This will be the first time in 8 years that I haven't been her coach. I am looking forward to time away from 3rd base and be a parent on the outside of the fence. We have a new coach, and she seems to be very good with the game. The girls seem to like her already (had winter open gym). Bring on the season. We won't be outside for awhile. 12 inches of snow yesterday and 60 this weekend sorta makes for a water retention issue on the diamonds.

Nov 29, 2009
1-15 is my prediction.

New school, only 9th/10th graders. All varsity members are travel ball players, and a couple are D-I commits, but too much youth, not enough pitching, to win games in a really tough conference where over 90 percent of starters are year-round players.

NEVER count the kids out until they are out. My DD's HS team did something that had never been done in our state in ANY HS sport. The won the the 2A (Highest division at that time, only 2) State Softball Championship as a 1st year varsity program (New school) with NO seniors on the team. DD and the other main pitcher on the team were sophomores at the time. There were 4 starting freshman on the team. They played in the toughest conference in the state. Multiple players in the conference ended up playing in the WCWS. One of their opponents was a WCWS tournament MVP. The conference routinely had players playing the PAC10, BIG10 and other tough D1 conferences.

The kids finished in the middle of the conference at the end of the regular season. They put together 8 wins at the end against the toughest teams in the state to win it all. DD pitched the final two innings of the Championship game after suffering from food poisoning all weekend.

Jun 11, 2012
Tryouts start 3/21. There are 9 returning varsity players although 3 of them saw very limited play time last year. We only have one returning starting outfielder (DD) so it will be interesting.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
District play started last night...lost to a good hitting team by one run. I anticipate this team to fight hard and get better together...the chemistry is there. We shall see! :)

Sep 18, 2011
All is well. Very happy about everything. Couldn't be more excited about the season. I love Big Brother.

Sep 6, 2015
Tryouts start tomorrow. DD is a freshman and is so excited/nervous she's making me nervous. She's more nervous for this than her travel ball tryouts. It will be a fun and exciting next step in her softball journey.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
We are 12 games into the season. In a few hours we start day 2 of our second tournament this spring. Went 2-0 yesterday.
So far DD is contributing heavily as a freshman in the circle, at the plate, and in the field.

We are predicted/expected to either tie or win outright in district and go deep/win playoffs and state. It all depends upon a few players staying healthy. We've already lost one to an ACL last week.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy