High School "PC"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If you live inside the drawn lines of that schools area, it is the only game in town. M y advice has not changed.

Did it occur to you that it might be the open mechanics the pc does not like? Are any of the other pitchers using open mechanics?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What does your DD want to do? I would walk.

As you know from my previous posts DD loves school ball, I think I would walk to after a long talk with DD.

Edit:

Dd spoke with the hs pc yesterday, she explained to him that she has worked hard to get an i/r whipping open style and he says okay, but then sarcastically says with an attitude as she pitches "make sure you whip it" and looks around for others to laugh along with him.
He takes my dd aside and has her stand with closed hips/shoulders and perform locked elbow wrist flips to a catcher. Dd explains why we dont do this and his response is "while with me, this is how you'll pitch"... moving on to an hour later he tells her to pull the ball over her head in a wrapping fashion when throwing a change up because this is how you take speed off!!! WTF!!! I'm thinking about just not letting her pitch this year for the school.... advise???

DD was the only P on her school Team that did not do wrist flips despite some pressure from a couple players and standing out a little bit which can be really hard for a young lady. Her coaches did not care one bit, just hearing some of these stories makes me realize how lucky she is.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Free Vector Bugs Bunny 012547.jpg- "what a maroon".

I can only share my experience with "trying to ignore" PC advice as a cautionary tale (" sure coach"= nodding in agreement- and then proceeding with IR anyway)- did not work so well for DD- some how the person harping on HE with her morphed into a change in her mechanics- that took precious time to undo. Total PJE (parental judgement error). Faced with that situation now, I would not have DD listen to someone trying to change her mechanics. Maybe your DD needs to say "coach, I appreciate your suggestions, but really can't pitch with the mechanics that you suggest- therefore, maybe its better I contribute to the team in another way" Of course if HS coach is total A$$ about it, he/she may make it intolerable for your DD and she has to leave. that would really stink but....upside of that- is it gives her longer time "pre-season" to work on new pitches and gaining speed prior to TB starting.

It is so hard for some DDs (mine is prime example) to get mechanics to the point where the effectiveness and speed increases- why risk undoing it after all that work.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
He takes my dd aside and has her stand with closed hips/shoulders and perform locked elbow wrist flips to a catcher. Dd explains why we dont do this and his response is "while with me, this is how you'll pitch"... moving on to an hour later he tells her to pull the ball over her head in a wrapping fashion when throwing a change up because this is how you take speed off!!! WTF!!! I'm thinking about just not letting her pitch this year for the school.... advise???

I would tell the HS coach AMF.....but I am lucky in that my DD is also a very good volleyball player and the VB coach at her HS would LOVE to have her on the team, so we have some "leverage"! LOL

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"About 30-40 percent of coaches here are not teachers. And teachers or any coaches have to be credentialed by NFHS/state to coach"

A head coach, yes. I have yet to hear of ANY organization that certifies pitching 'Coaches'.

ASA has different levels of coaching certification but not pitching coaches certifications.

Jun 14, 2010
I would approach the coach and explain her mechanics. I've found most that teach the old school style tend to do so out of ignorance and not knowing or understanding why Hillhouse teaches what he does. I would then explain, the 2-3 months of using bad mechanics will take 8 months to correct. If at that point, the PC is so stubborn and arrogant not to listen, your choice is made. Either she doesn't pitch for that team or you walk.

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
If he is having her practice what he is trying to change while she's with him then he is messing with her muscle memory which is not ok.

My DD definitely wants to play HS ball next year, but I will draw the line at this. Fortunately, we can play TB with her regular TB team and pick up with other teams during off times, and that beats having to undo what someone else forces her to mess up.

I would tell him, as a parent, you respect him as a coach, but you're not willing to allow her to change her pitching mechanics and therefore you have given her the option to play elsewhere but not pitch and this is her choice (otherwise she walks-though you may not verbalize this initially)...... but if he's going to "punish" her by putting her on the bench (provided her skills are good enough to warrant playing elsewhere) I would walk NOW before he does more damage.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you are certain about the coach making fun of her in front of the team (for being right), that is bullying and will not be tolerated at any HS, that I know of.

Is the head coach aware that your DD is unhappy?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Amy, it is still a case of what you can prove. Get sommeone with a video of him doig it, then ya got something. Until then, it will be her word against his and nobody else will take her side for fear of the same thing happening to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad