High-Five a base runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
I have also seen a player called out because she was touched by a player prior to touching home plate. The umpires specifically watch to make sure that the runner is not touched and will call them out if they are. I have never seen it called on a base coach though.

Moral of the story? Save the congrats for after she touches home...

No. Moral of the story is that umpires make incorrect calls sometimes.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Puh-leese, they can wait away from the field until the runner scores. The umpire should not have to fight for position to observe the runners touching the plate.

Control the unnecessary and the rest will take care of itself.

And no player, coach, stray dog, or fan shall make any unnecessary noise from the time his highness utters "Play Ball" until the last out of the game is recorded in the official scorebook.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Taking a step back I find it interesting that in fastpitch when the ball leaves the park the entire team runs out on the field to congratulate the hitter. Almost like it is an amazing feat akin to hitting for the cycle, a 3 pitch inning, or a perfect game. Whereas in baseball or even slow pitch softball the players act like they have seen a home run once or twice before.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
As with all rules and laws there is a time and a place to make a non call. Calling a girl out after hitting it out of the park because she got a premature high five puts any ump who does this squarely in the category of power tripping douchebag.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Taking a step back I find it interesting that in fastpitch when the ball leaves the park the entire team runs out on the field to congratulate the hitter. Almost like it is an amazing feat akin to hitting for the cycle, a 3 pitch inning, or a perfect game. Whereas in baseball or even slow pitch softball the players act like they have seen a home run once or twice before.

You mean like run out and congratulate the hitter for hitting a home run by meeting them at the plate? Baseball. I haven't seen a slow pitch game that didn't involve church or drinking beer in 15 years.

The no assist rule is often used in baseball when players high five the batter.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And no player, coach, stray dog, or fan shall make any unnecessary noise from the time his highness utters "Play Ball" until the last out of the game is recorded in the official scorebook.

Another intelligent response from the softball community

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That's just a turd of an attitude. There are two umpires that have absolutely nothing else to do on a dead ball... one would think that they could verify touching of home plate with players lined up along the 3rd base line high fiving the hitter.

Lined up? Have seen players do anything but line up. The PU has to move, twist and turn to see through the players gathering around the plate. How will the other umpires going to see anything when the umpire doing her/his best to in the best position?

Just what is the big deal about asking the players to wait until the runner scores before moving toward the plate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes