High-Five a base runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Saw this happen in playoffs once. The batboy high-fived the coach's daughter after she hit one over the fence. The home plate umpire called her out. The coach went ballistic. Fortunately for the ump the coach was restrained and the call was corrected by the UIC.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm trying to figure out why they are allowed out to approach the field of play to start. As what is becoming standard in this country, they are addressing the wrong end of the rear.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
I'm trying to figure out why they are allowed out to approach the field of play to start. As what is becoming standard in this country, they are addressing the wrong end of the rear.

What?

They are congratulating a team mate who just hit the best possible hit in the game of softball. Something that does not occur all too often.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I have also seen a player called out because she was touched by a player prior to touching home plate. The umpires specifically watch to make sure that the runner is not touched and will call them out if they are. I have never seen it called on a base coach though.

Moral of the story? Save the congrats for after she touches home...

Jun 22, 2008
I have also seen a player called out because she was touched by a player prior to touching home plate. The umpires specifically watch to make sure that the runner is not touched and will call them out if they are. I have never seen it called on a base coach though.

Moral of the story? Save the congrats for after she touches home...

And why aren't the coaches protesting the call?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What?

They are congratulating a team mate who just hit the best possible hit in the game of softball. Something that does not occur all too often.

Puh-leese, they can wait away from the field until the runner scores. The umpire should not have to fight for position to observe the runners touching the plate.

Control the unnecessary and the rest will take care of itself.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Puh-leese, they can wait away from the field until the runner scores. The umpire should not have to fight for position to observe the runners touching the plate.

Control the unnecessary and the rest will take care of itself.

That's just a turd of an attitude. There are two umpires that have absolutely nothing else to do on a dead ball... one would think that they could verify touching of home plate with players lined up along the 3rd base line high fiving the hitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes