Help With Bat Sizing Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
I am having a very difficult time deciding what bat size my DD should be using. She is 5'3/115 with a very muscular build. She had a 31/21 Xeno that she really liked, but it was stolen. She has been swinging various bats as we try to decide what to get next. She seems to have good bat speed.

I found a good deal on a 32/22 CF5 that she that i could get quickly and she swings it very well. Yesterday she hit a friends 33/24 Xeno and was hitting the ball noticeably farther albeit against a slow BP pitcher. She's says the 33/24 feels "big" but it did not appear that she lost any significant bad speed.

She really misses her Xeno...I suppose I'm going to break down and get her the 2014, but I am torn as to what size to order.

Any feedback/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Buy her a bat in every size. :).

I wouldn't jump up to a 24oz game bat if it were my kid. IMO it would affect bat control. I have bats from 20oz to 30oz, the girls can swing and hit with about any of them, but they all use 21-23 oz game bats.

The one exception I would say is cf5 or cf6...I have commented that they are way way light, to which others have responded that they are about 1/2 ounce light. To me they feel light swinging a bat a full 2 oz lighter, definitely feel much lighter and balanced than a xeno. They have really good pop, but I think they feel like a broom stick.

IMO it should be what she is comfortably with...a hard line drive with a 24oz bat is going to be a hard line drive with a 22oz bat.

Jul 14, 2010
Sounds like a 32/22 Xeno would be about right. The Xeno will swing "heavier" than the CF5 as redhotcoach mentioned.

I think the 32" length is going to be about right for your 5'3" DD. We usually measure from the ground up to the player's wrist (where it hinges) with cleats on to get the length. Then it's minimum -10 or maybe -9 for the stronger girls.

I think the 33/24 is too much bat for games and better pitching for 5'3" 115lbs. I didn't see what age your DD is. Has she stopped growing, hit her growth spurt yet, etc.?

For reference my DD is 16U, 5'5", 145 lbs, and very strong. She swings the 33/23 Xeno for Travel and High School ball. Next bat will be 33/24 Xeno. She's pretty much finished growing.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I agree that I would not jump up to a 33/24. My DD is a first year 12U, 5'7" and about 110 and she swings a 32/22 CF5 insane. In my hand the Demarini bats feel a little lighter than the Xeno and other bats that size. I also think the end loaded CF5 Insane feels lighter than the CF5. I have been very pleased with the bat. My DD is not a power hitter, but does get some good drives with this bat. One option if you want to go with the CF5 is to get it with a -9 drop instead of -10 if you too believe it feels lighter.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks guys... I certainly do agree that the CF5's feel lighter. I too was pondering the thought of going with a drop 9 in that bat.

So, I understand the theory of the Insane (end loaded), but can someone tell me in practical terms what the difference is in the CF5 and the CF5 Insane/

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks Small-Catchers... That was my understanding of the bats, BUT I guess I am trying to clarify the "hit for more power" part.

So is the theory that he SAME girl with the SAME swing will hit the CF5 Insane "for More power" than the CF5 Balanced?

Then we get into the money conversation between the CF5's vs the Xeno. I have found both the CF5 balanced and Insane for $190. Haven't seen the 2013 Xeno's for less than $280. I really don't think this would be a case of you get what you pay for because I think they are both quality bats, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Jul 19, 2012
Without getting too technical, a girl swinging a balanced bat will be able to get the swing going a bit quicker due to not having a good portion of the weight toward the end of the bat. IMO this would apply to younger/smaller/less experienced hitters. Whereas an end loaded bat will have more of a whip effect (with proper swing mechanics of course) through contact and extension after contact - think of a pendulum and how the weight on the end just carries is through it's arc. I've seen really good hitters have great results with both, I guess it just depends on what feels best - myself I prefer the end loaded. They are both good bats but in my opinion only and just from balls I've seen hit with each, nothing compares to the distance/exit speed etc. off of a Xeno. And to me, they feel more on the end loaded side than balanced. Hope that helps.

Feb 21, 2013
I have to agree that from what I have seen personally the 2013 Xeno's are hard to beat. It is actually hard for me to imagine that the 14's could be any hotter. Any thoughts on whether there will be a significant drop in price on the 2013 models once the 14's hit the market full speed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877