HELP!!! Daughter is opening up too early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
My daughter is totally opening up her body & trying to swing with her body first & arms second. How can I get her to swing & allow her swing to turn her body?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not sure what you are asking.Your DD should be swinging with her body(hips)first then arms(hands) second.Hips most lead first.Check out the model swings in the hitting tech forum.You need the core/hips to lead first that is where she will get her power.Then the hands will whip the barrel to and through the ball to extension.You maybe seeing(or mean) her front shoulder is pulling off the ball and that is what you mean by swinging with the body.She may need to stride down and into the ball.I'm having same problem with my DD,so you may want to check out my post on the tech hitting forum.I posted video and pics of what she does.What is suggestion that are posted may help answer your questions.If that isn't what your DD is doing I'm sorry to waste your time.

May 16, 2010
My daughter is totally opening up her body & trying to swing with her body first & arms second. How can I get her to swing & allow her swing to turn her body?

Uh, that's what she should be doing. There IS a wrong way to open up, but if she's doing anything like the girl below (hips, then hands), she's on the right track.

2lnqx1.gif

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
One of the drills my DD's hitting coach does is to hold her shoulders and have her rotate her hips fully. He then lets go of her shoulders, which whip around like she was wound up like a rubber band. It lets her feel what the sequence should feel like, but in an exaggerated fashion.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
Thanks! That is what she is doing - but it looked so wrong on her! Come to find out (now that we found a hitting coach) it was her weight.... she shifted her weight onto her front foot making things look so off. We are getting there - thanks for the video, really helps!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
NewBucketDad,might want to re-think that. Look at the video posted for starters. Is the hitters weight shifted to her front side? On some hits or hitters the back foot may appear weightless after the hit, but the weight is equally balanced. To much weight forward my lead to lunging. Which is bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1