Hello Elbow making me become 'That' Parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
California
Sorry for the long rant…

DD is 11 & aged up to 12U rec ball this year to a new rec team. Did really well at try outs/evaulations and was the 1st pitcher drafted. Practices started and the 'pitching' AC had her warming up with wrist snaps and finish with the elbow pointed towards the catcher. sigh……DD of course just nodded and did what the coach asked her to do. And of course was horrible entire session.

At the next practice I was able to attend, when the AC had her start with the wrist snaps, she stopped and stared at me. AC asked me what's wrong, and I told him politely, we don't do wrist snaps as that promotes DD to push and bowl the ball instead of whipping the ball. His response was 'that's excatly what we want her to do' then proceed to demostrate the fine art of the hellow elbow pitching mechanics. I politely reminded the coach that we are working with a PC (which both HC & AC know) and that we have a different method where we use the I/R whip and not the HE. But after 5 more mins of the AC trying to convience me that he knows what he's talking about and that as a bucket dad I should listen to him, I let it be not wanting to start an arguement. DD completed the throwing session using his drills but when it got to full motion she threw it with IR and forced the HE finish to make her coach happy.

Since PC knew the HC and AC pretty well, I called him and asked for his advise. He told me don't worry just tell HC that DD is working with me and that we have a routine and ask that we stick with that routine. So I spoke to HC, he was ok with it and said he knows very little about the pitching mechanics so leaves it to the AC. HC said he would talk to AC & I thought everything was good after that.

We spent the next lession with PC correting DD's mechanics as she started pushing the ball some.

Well after practice yesterday (which I wasn't able to attend), DD started to complain of shoulder and some back soreness. DD told me they were still doing everything HE.

DD just started to pitch last June. Even with 3-4 pitching practices a week all summer or pitching 2-3 games on Sat then coming back to pitch the 8am game on Sunday during tourneys (10U Fall TB low B). After 3-4 pitching sessions with this guy her shoulder and back are sore?

DD needs all the circle time she can get as she's still new to pitching, but not if she's going to get hurt. DD would rather pitch for team, but is okay with shutting it down and wait for summer TB.

Am I over reacting? What would you all do?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I would again, remind the rec. league "PC" that your dd is currently taking lessons with someone else and to please not undo what you've already paid for... if it continues, your options are to volunteer as an AC so that you can oversee the pitching or not let her pitch at all for them, and wait until tb starts up.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You are not over re-acting. The pitching coach, should have backed off, when you first mentioned your concerns. Evidently, you are going to have to make yourself clearer. "She is getting confusing advice and we want her to pitch the way her pitching coach is instructing her."

May 17, 2012
Take a tablet and hit him over the head with the 1000fps video of Amanda Scarborough pitching.

Or ask him to join this forum.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I wouldn't bother trying to educate them and there is no need to justify your position. Bring it up again and be firm about you paying for lessons and that your DD sticks to only how her pitching coach teaches her and tells her what to do. This is Rec so you think that they would understand that.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I wouldn't bother trying to educate them and there is no need to justify your position. Bring it up again and be firm about you paying for lessons and that your DD sticks to only how her pitching coach teaches her and tells her what to do. This is Rec so think that they would understand that.

It's usually an absolute waste of time trying to educate a closed-minded knucklehead who clearly isn't a student of pitching knowledge. Lay the law down! Last year, I had to tell the high school coach that my daughter would no longer be a pitcher for the HS freshman-sophomore team if they continued to try to change her pitching to the HE style. They abided by my request. And, didn't hurt her pitching time at all. Oh, occasionally on of the assistant coaches would try to tell her how to fix he mechanics, but my DD did a great job of ignoring it.

You see, many coaches and assistant coaches have the attitude they only they know the best mechanics in the world. They believe it having no clue was IR is in pitching. They do it not having a clue what turn the barrel or bat path on the plain of the pitch in hitting.

No, I see nothing wrong with standing your ground. They want to win. Hopefully, that is more important than getting your kid to change her mechanics to their way.

May 24, 2013
California
@Gunner - I have a nice slightly dented Easton I'd like to hit him over the head with, instead of the tablet. LOL

I would have assumed especially in rec ball that if a coach gets a pitcher with a PC, they be happy and take it as 1 less thing they need to teach the kids. Just tell us, she needs to work on and we'll get with PC on that. I tried to put it as 'DD is young..DD is a beginner so she gets confused type thing', not as HE is totally wrong type thing.

Well I spoke to AC and told him DD's getting confused with the different methods and asked again if we can follow the routine her PC has set up for her. He didn't take it too well, and sounded a bit upset. But at the end relented and said he'll call PC and get on the same page. Not too confident that will happen but we'll see.

Found out the rec AC bumped heads with our PC before on other students of his. Gee I wonder why??? LOL

Thanks for the feedback. Just don't like to be 'that' parent. But I aint backing down on this. =)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As an AC on a 10U rec team, I ask my players' parents at the start of each season if they are working with a private coach (hitting, pitching, etc.). I certainly don't want to give instructions that may be contradictory or confusing to the progress they are making in their private lessons - especially if they are paying for it, and even if I don't agree with it.

As a parent of a DD who has invested both time and money to get my DD to the point where she is now, I will definitely step in - as tactfully as I can - to protect her progress if I hear her being given bad advice.

What amuses me most is when my DD tells me stories about her debates at school with other players in her league regarding the validity of "squish the bug" and "swing level".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan