Height, Weight, Pop times, Pitch Speed, Baserunning Times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Outfielders can be short. I did not say short player cannot hit for power, etc.

But I must tell you also in discussions years ago with my alma mater's coach, she said I would have had a hard time making the team at my height, which is short, even by old standards.

I just think we need to be realistic. You can overcome height with marketing yourself to the coach

From my home state, you could probably overcome height with being all-state, all-met, state champions, home run leader, etc. Otherwise you are going to go to a less than a top 100 SOFTBALL school.

You can also overcome this if the coach wants in-state players (improving due to economy and better players everywhere). You can also go to a JUCO that transfer into the college and make a name for yourself.

Clarified top 100 as I don't believe that Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. have physical requirements for admission

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
You can also overcome this if the coach wants in-state players (improving due to economy and better players everywhere). You can also go to a JUCO that transfer into the college and make a name for yourself.

Indeed, scholarships are often pro-rated for out-of-state players. An in-state-player who receives a full scholarship gets 1 scholarship. An out-of-state player who gets a full scholarship may in fact be counted as 1.4 scholarships. If you had 12 scholarships, that cuts into your funds real quick! I think both Utah and Utah State for example did this because it is determined by the State Higher Education Board of Regents. I don't know what the current NCAA rules are so maybe someone can inform us? Most Div I programs are fully funded for the 12 scholarships. There are many Div II programs and Div III programs that are not fully funding their allotted scholarships (Div III has no scholarships). This should be an issue for the parents in recruiting! In fact, at one time Div I schools only had 11 scholarships for softball, but it was increased to 12 because of football. The same is true of track and field, and women have 5.4 more scholarships than men in track and field. Title IX.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Just for the sake of accuracy, there are no athletic scholarships for NCAA Division III. There are, however, athletic scholarships available at NAIA and NJCAA schools.

Apr 1, 2010
Clarified top 100 as I don't believe that Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. have physical requirements for admission

Yale is still where DD wants to go, LOL. I was really more worried about her having the test scores, grades and softball skills rather than her height keeping her out. Gee, so many ways to have to measure up.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yale is still where DD wants to go, LOL. I was really more worried about her having the test scores, grades and softball skills rather than her height keeping her out. Gee, so many ways to have to measure up.

Here's a partial bio of a P just comitted to Yale. Yeah, the acadamic performance limits the field severely, but it just goes to show that there also are tall pitchers that are excellent students. If your DD is both, all the better, but if she had the same stats and was only 5' tall, I still think you'd find plenty o' top 100 academic schools with interest. Top 100 SB schools - not so much.

Class of 2012
Committed to Yale University
GPA: 3.88
SAT: 2020
SPEED: 61-63mph
HEIGHT: 6 ft
PITCHES: Drop, Curve, Screw, Rise and Change-up

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just for the sake of accuracy, there are no athletic scholarships for NCAA Division III. There are, however, athletic scholarships available at NAIA and NJCAA schools.

Yes, you are absolutely right about that, and I should know better. I am going to leave it up to show I am somewhat "human" on my good days.

Oct 10, 2011

A coach at a Div III college told me that work around that if they have good grades by setting aside money for an academic scholarship with athletic ability.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
A coach at a Div III college told me that work around that if they have good grades by setting aside money for an academic scholarship with athletic ability.

iMlearning, that is true at all levels. However, it is just not as dependent since other funds exit. However, even a Div I coach will work hard to get reasonably qualified athletes money through Academic or Financial Hardship means.

Oct 10, 2011
scholarships

iMlearning, that is true at all levels. However, it is just not as dependent since other funds exit. However, even a Div I coach will work hard to get reasonably qualified athletes money through Academic or Financial Hardship means.
Good info to know...we'll be starting the college searching soon I guess as my DD will be going into High School next year. All the schools she as talked about are Div 1 so far.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
iMlearning, there are 12 scholarships, and usually about 15-18 girls in a DI program. I don't think big is necessarily better. If there are 16 girls, that means probably the following breakdown:

Full rides -
3 pitchers
2 catchers
2-3 premier offensive or defensive players

Partials -
8-9 remaining players divide 4-5 scholarships in varying proportions. Some will receive 3/4 and some 1/4 or books for example.

If you have "open minded" parents, you can focus on some other scholarship money for a top recruit and save some money for the positions normally receiving less attention. Believe it or not, some parents can't accept it; it's an ego issue. But this usually happens after the Freshman year as an adjustment. But the coach will also focus on additional monies for her partial scholarship players.

A little warning is in order. There is a trend for some schools to expand their rosters. I would advise parents to ask how many players the team will be carrying, and if all the players travel and are equipped! Some of these extra players are not allowed to travel, especially those not on scholarship. Also, it limits attention and opportunity. It a team has more than 18 players, I think that is very negative unless your kid is getting at least a 1/2 scholarship which would imply a current or future opportunity. Have your DD take the SAT's, ACT's early so you can go through the NCAA Clearing House process in time. Mentally plan now. They should be have everything in order. The recruiting period starts August 1 now. Before it was various dates in July. This may be because of the chaos at 18U Gold national tournaments, and frequent rules violations, or it may be coincidence that the Nationals are before the recruiting period.

If your daughter can't play 18U Gold, then she will be less likely to be seen even at Nationals for 18U "A". 90% of the coaches are chasing 10% of specific players and teams. If your daughter is interested YOU can notify coaches of her participation and ask them to watch her. It would best if you do it and she didn't know they were specifically there. Also, if not seen, you better make an impressive and comprehensive video. I can advise you on this if the time comes. Also, check your daughter's spelling in any correspondence! Some are head shakers!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors