Height, Weight, Pop times, Pitch Speed, Baserunning Times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
I saw some queries about baserunning times. Some have discussed pitching speeds and at the height 'requirement' for college softball players. Also, some discussed whether to play V all 4 years. Here is a site (scroll down) that lists some of this information.

I can tell you I know one college player whose parent told me that 5'5" means you will NOT be a pitcher, but you CAN be a left-handed slap hitter. And this was for a top 20 school.

College Softball Scholarships. Softball Recruiting.

Apr 1, 2010
Middle infielders have pop times? I think they've got a slight problem with their table headers. --still pretty interesting, thanks for posting it!

Jul 26, 2010
My child is doomed for any level, based on height and weight. She will probably not top 5'3" and is 113 lb at 15.

I had a player last season feel the same way because she hit a growth spurt that ended her gymnastic dreams. Whenever someone has the idea that travel softball is not sane, I point them to the gymnastic and ice skating academies down the street. Talk about obsessive.

-W

Nov 14, 2011
I was surprised to see that they have "requirements" for height and weight for scholarships. I thought it should be based on performance, not size/weight.

Jul 26, 2010
Scholarships are performance based. The problem is that when you are a college coach and receive thousands of requests to "come see me" or "watch my skills video", the coach (or more likely their assistants) will sort by the easiest means possible, and that is by statistics.

If the coach gets 10 pitchers, and they all pitch 65mph, all have 2400 on their SAT's, and they all have medals from their town mayors for saving a burning kitten from a tree, it still behooves them to figure out which 5 they're going to make trips to go see play. Most will feel that 6'6" pitcher has more potential then the 5'1" pitcher. It's not fair, but that's life. A smaller kid is just going to have to try twice as hard and be twice as good to get the same attention. It's a challenge, not an obstacle.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
As long as she fits in a classroom and the school offers the courses she needs she will be fine. Caitlin Lowe was a bit under seven feet and she did fine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand