Has she been lurking DFP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
100 percent overhaul. I don't understand how you can be in " the business" and not know what you are teaching is wrong! (Then)

Because they are not students of the game and take the easy way out. Very few PCs take the time to educate themselves like BM, Java, Pauly and others. For example, DD's first PC was the classic hello elbow instructor who was booked solid with students. She even has some pitchers who over the years have played D1 which reinforces her attitude that she must know what she is doing if her students are getting college scholarships, right?. What she doesn't realize is many of these students are successful in spite of her once a week (30 min) instruction, not because of it. I just wonder how many young pitchers that were taught incorrectly gave up pitching because they were set-up to fail from the beginning..?

Aug 21, 2008
All good/great instructors had to learn from somewhere, and continue to learn and grow. Kuddos to her, and all instructors out there that are trying to continually better themselves. It only helps our sport in the long run.

Not me JJS... I was doing this in my crib as a baby. In fact, that's how I got my first spanking... I threw my rattle as a riseball with complete 12/6 spin and buzzed her head with it from the crib. My diaper was full when she spanked me so the joke was on her with the splatter. :)

All jokes aside, I've never met Ms. Gilman but I think we've emailed before. So I cannot know what she taught before but, I'm curious why she isn't making corrections to these students in the clips. For example, Girl #1. isn't doing ANY follow through. She's teaching herself to stop her hand at the release with that clicker thing. Why promote that muscle memory? #2. The girl pitching is throwing the ball all over the place but, nothing is said as to why that is happening. #2a. the knee drill is creating havoc for her because her hips are practically square which makes control a huge issue. #2b. that promotes not turning the body at all which is what we see in the full motion pitch.

So, this isn't meant as a criticism, I'm just curious why those clips would be chosen vs. other ones?

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
Because they are not students of the game and take the easy way out. Very few PCs take the time to educate themselves like BM, Java, Pauly and others. For example, DD's first PC was the classic hello elbow instructor who was booked solid with students. She even has some pitchers who over the years have played D1 which reinforces her attitude that she must know what she is doing if her students are getting college scholarships, right?. What she doesn't realize is many of these students are successful in spite of her once a week (30 min) instruction, not because of it. I just wonder how many young pitchers that were taught incorrectly gave up pitching because they were set-up to fail from the beginning..?

Rocket... a small story to illustrate your point. I was doing a coaches clinic in Seattle several years ago and I was one of 4 speakers or so. Sue Enquist was one of the speakers and I was very curious to hear her speak on hitting because I've done clinics with alot of "famous" hitting coaches like Englishby, etc. and I wanted to hear her take. The first thing she did, to the crowd of 2-300 people was ask "Who has my VHS tapes from 1995?" (I actually don't remember the year they were made or she mentioned but they were old). 2/3 of the crowd raised their hands, as if to be teacher's pet. Sue promptly said "Throw them away, they are useless". I immediately began to think of the genius of what she did... she is now going to sell 2/3 of the crowd NEW videos!!!! But, her point was "what we thought hitters were doing, they weren't actually doing". One example was "squish the bug". Slo-mo cameras, Right view pro, Coaches eye app, etc have all shown what the body is ACTUALLY doing when the ball is hit, not what the naked eye thinks it sees. When I first heard someone talk about "squish the bug" is made perfect sense as far as getting the hips into the swing... it never occured to me that when I was hitting (or striking out) I wasn't actually doing that.

Pitching is no different. Many people, especially the old schoolers, refuse to change from HE. When they SEE the difference, they are forced to confront their opinions and rethink but, many won't even do that much. In all the places I go for clinics, you'd be amazed at how many PC's encourage their kids NOT to go. But there are plenty that do send their kids and even come themselves. Personally, I encourage all my students to go to clinics and camps. The kids and parents are the winners... they either 1. figure out this Bill guy is a moron and this coach is better, 2. they say this speaker they are listening to makes zero sense and realize they are on the right path. Or finally #3. they hear something with different verbiage and something clicks in the brain for them. No matter what... the kid and parents win. So, I encourage it, then we can discuss it.

God rest his soul but, Hal Skinner used to advocate changing one's motion to mess up the hitter's timing. Throw one pitch sling shot, one pitch with double pump, next pitch step style, next pitch leap and drag, etc. And if a student and parent came to me asking about that... because on the surface it makes sense... anything we can do to screw up a hitter is good!!! But not at the expense of one's own timing and mechanics. Not to mention, umpires are human and they can get deceived by watching the pitcher and being confused too. A good pitch might be called a ball because the ump was equally fooled. It happens all the time, even in real games when umpires get caught guessing what pitch is coming or get fooled on a change up like the hitter.... they call a strike a ball. The next pitch is then almost ALWAYS hit for a LONG HOME RUN.

At that point, I will walk into homeplate area to get the new ball and sometimes the umpire says "sorry Billy... I missed that one". Not much you can say to that. But when they are arrogant and miss a lot... i'll ask the ump if I can get thrown out for what I THINK of their strike zone. "No, not for thinking it" they reply. "Good, cause I think your zone sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ok........... you're outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Bill

Jul 14, 2008
I love it when people here talk about how we on this board live our own little bubble regarding the palm up load and I/R. When I wrote the article on internal rotation back in 09 while conversing with Rick Pauly about how his daughter actually threw the softball underhand, I had hoped it wouldn't fall on deaf ears in the pitching community as a whole. When the thread approached 50,000 views I knew it had taken hold and we would all benefit from the attention it was receiving from people outside our little bubble.

I believe the momentum toward proper mechanics will continue to spread across the softball community until eventually you will be the village idiot if you don't teach some form of I/R more or less.

I recently thought about coming up with a tee shirt slogan, but then I thought better of the social ramifications of it.......

"I/R MATTERS"...........

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I believe as a coach/teacher of any kind, you must be a nonstop student yourself. Never be satisfied in your current knowledge. I commend RLG in this. She is adapting to what is proving to be a superior mechanic.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Better mechanics seem to be spreading.
I remember when DD 3 first started working with a local pitching coach who was laughed at by other PCs. I wondered why he was teaching a completely different follow through, instead of the "normal" HE. PC explained he had pitched men's fast pitch for 15 years. He said none of the other PCs in town had ever faced a 6'8" former Major League Baseball player in a fast pitch softball game and gotten an out.
PC was also considers crazy because the first pitch he teaches is a peel drop fastball.

To make a long sort short, the other PCs are finally switching to IR, PC's DD is now pitching in college, DD 3 is doing very well with her pitching, and a local HS has her PC working with their pitchers.

Meanwhile consider how many great batters bit the dust facing Hillhouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi