Has anybody ever experienced "Daddy Ball?"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GTR: Be careful with 'run through the ball.' It looks like that is what is happening at college level especially, but the cues are more detailed than that for various types of ground balls. It is a progression and there are nice drills out there. I like 'catch the short hop early in the bounce, scoop it out in front of your body' and 'run in on slowly hit or stopping balls' for examples. This gets them to lose the fear because they are busy looking at it to get the type of ground ball.

Excellent Point!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
As to your original question, yes, others here have experienced Daddy Ball. If they hadn't we'd be able to use a lot fewer servers. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As to your original question, yes, others here have experienced Daddy Ball. If they hadn't we'd be able to use a lot fewer servers. :)

The OP may have well just asked "does anybody else believe that the earth is round?"

FWIW, DFP would have approximately 11 or 12 members if the forum was limited to those who had NOT experienced daddy ball.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
So I have to ask, how did your DD get to 14u having never played the outfield? Sounds like more then one coach may have been doing her a disservice.

So I have to ask, how did your DD get to 14u having never played the outfield? Sounds like more then one coach may have been doing her a disservice.

Yes they have. Long story. I think she could be a better OF than an MI. She needs to be taught and not just thrown in. Part of the situation is that he sat each girl down and explained to them where they would be playing two tournaments ago. Told DD she was MI. Two errors later she's not. Like I said, I was fine and hopeful she'd learn OF. But he keeps jerking her into to play MI after his daughter has made a ton of errors. DD comes in and finishes up, does great and starts in LF once again. She's confused. His daughter made six errors in our first game today. Then DD gets pulled in mid-inning and finished game error free. Back to left. Gets pulled back into SS mid-inning next game, back to left (made one great grab on the run and guess who wasn't covering the bag for an easy DP?). Point is I wish he'd quit doing that. She's sitting here wondering why in the world she had to clean it up instead if just playing there.

Three tournaments left for the summer and then we'll have to make a decision. I just want her to get some actual coaching do she can get better wherever that might be on the field.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GTRH8R, I don't understand your statment of having to "cover up." She is getting a chance to play the position and should be thankful she gets to play the position. It doesn't matter who started. It doesn't matter if daddyball is happening. She can not control that. When she gets to play any position including OF, she needs to realize that in doing so, she is developing into a ball player.

My dd started as a SS and Pitcher. Then, she became a pitcher and OF. Then, in HS, she was a SS and Pitcher. Then, her sophomore year she was a pitcher and OF. Then, junior year she was a pitcher and 1st baseman. Senior year she was the centerfielder and was recruited for college as an outfielder. So, in college they are on the bus to go to their first tournament to start her freshman year of college. She was told on the bus that she was no longer a starting outfielder, she was starting at firstbase.

Right now, she could start as an OF, 1st base, either corner and still pitch and would play well. The reason for that is that she never allowed herself to care where the coach put her. She looked at every change in position with a positive attitude to enable her to develop as a player.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GTRH8R, I don't understand your statment of having to "cover up." She is getting a chance to play the position and should be thankful she gets to play the position. It doesn't matter who started. It doesn't matter if daddyball is happening. She can not control that. When she gets to play any position including OF, she needs to realize that in doing so, she is developing into a ball player.

My dd started as a SS and Pitcher. Then, she became a pitcher and OF. Then, in HS, she was a SS and Pitcher. Then, her sophomore year she was a pitcher and OF. Then, junior year she was a pitcher and 1st baseman. Senior year she was the centerfielder and was recruited for college as an outfielder. So, in college they are on the bus to go to their first tournament to start her freshman year of college. She was told on the bus that she was no longer a starting outfielder, she was starting at firstbase.

Right now, she could start as an OF, 1st base, either corner and still pitch and would play well. The reason for that is that she never allowed herself to care where the coach put her. She looked at every change in position with a positive attitude to enable her to develop as a player.

CB - excellent point to keep in mind. The more positions DD knows how to play, and play well, the more opportunities there are for her to be a "starting... whatever" and be of greater value to her team. Unsaid, but implied, is that this is really only applicable if DD can swing the bat well enough to have to be in the lineup.

Feb 16, 2011
This is off topic but I wanted to share the most hilarious/pathetic "Daddy Ball" story I've heard to date. One of my TB kids she plays LL during the week, her dad told me her LL coach (which supposedly coached at a higher level) played his DD at 5 different positions in 1 single inning...from what I was told he got the boot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan