Hands to the ball? Um.... Not like that!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
**During the rotational phase and the arms are connected to the torso, we'll use the knob of the bat like its a flashlight.
6f4rib6.gif

52pngpk.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
A cue of mine that I like to use is called the flashlight.
Its a similar concept of hands to the ball without the misconception of taking the hands way out in front.
**During the rotational phase and the arms are connected to the torso, we'll use the knob of the bat like its a flashlight. The idea is, that if your flashlights beam of light is on the ball, the barrel will find it without casting the hands too far out in front. (This will also help to get a feel of a good barrel lag)
I usually have to remind them a few times that the light will only see the ball for a nano second and to stay fluid. Otherwise their rotation and firm front leg becomes too slow and soft.

inside
stayconnectedinsidegiffkeep-S.gif

outside

stayconnected%20otsidekkep2-S.gif

outside to power V (extension)
stayconnectedoutsideextensiongif-S.gif

quick and dirty, but I will make better clips.

I like the flashlight cue, I might try that. hmm, a wall, balls on the wall, a bat with a flashlight. ...................... good thing I don't have a life.(wait, I do)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I've used the "flashlight" verbal cue for years...
last month while in a hitting aid section of a website, I stumbled across a laser pointer that attaches to the knob of the bat for this exact reason.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Use words Rdbass, not sure of your point.

Be constructive even, maybe show me what I can do to get better.

I've try the "do what he does approach" to my students long, long ago, it does not work.

I personally like words and pics/video.

Some kids are verbal and a lot are visual.

The artsy creative kid wants to see it. But the thinkers on the team will want an explanation along with it.

I've had a hard time understanding "hands to the ball" because I've seen different techniques demonstrated. I don't use it with my team because of it. The flash light/laser pointer to the ball verbiage just clicked for me. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I hate the "hand to the ball" cue! The way most girls envision it results in the barrel going UNDER the ball. I say take the sweet-spot to the ball. The hands stay above and inside the path of the pitch.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The downward swing is not advised. No argument there.

However, what is the evidence that swinging downward is the major cause of popups? I don't see any MLB hitters who swing down and through, but they still hit popups. I think downward swings are bad for two reasons - they don't stay on plane with the pitch as long as the 'slightly upward' swing, meaning you're less likely to make solid contact consistently, and a downward swing is more likely to produce a grounder while an upward swing lifts the ball into the air for a line drive.

IMO, the most common cause of popups is dropping the hands during the load, and simply mishitting a ball (hitting under it), which can happen to anybody.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
However, what is the evidence that swinging downward is the major cause of popups?

I didn't say swinging downward (barrel still traveling downward at contact) was THE major cause of popups! A batter can hit a pop up swinging parallel to the path of the pitch but being too low, leading to barely hitting the bottom of the ball.

My issue in this thread is the chronic chipping I see.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma