Good inexpensive bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Ya know...I didn't get the bat because DD wants a cello for christmas. Well, she is not getting a cello and I could picture her giving me her teenage additude... "Well if you didn't buy so many bats, I probably could have get a cello."

So today we are at Scheels. She is looking at '15 lxts and xenos...she says "can't believe you didn' buy that 33/25 lxt for $99." KIDS!

LOL, my DD has bats and a cello (and cello shopping makes bats look cheap by comparison). We must need our heads examined. We've got to go get a new D string this weekend--old one snapped and the Xmas concert's coming up. That one string's probably gonna run $30 or more.

Whenever you're in KC again, KC Strings has a very nice selection IMO. When we bought DD's, there were about a dozen in our price range. A nice young bassist working there hauled them down for her and she played them one after the other till she narrowed it down to three. Then he (so she could hear them played very forcefully) and she went back and forth playing those three until she found her definite favorite. We were there for ages and they were extremely patient and helpful.

Jan 24, 2009
LOL, my DD has bats and a cello (and cello shopping makes bats look cheap by comparison).

MsD,
Fyi the new 2015 cellos are hot right out of the wrapper and seem to have just a little more pop than prior cellos, even with the new high tech internal sound governing sleeve for maximum allowable performance. We'll have to wait and see about the durability of the strings, but the luthiers seem to have come up with a winner.

I know several cellists who have tried them and won't put them down. The older cello stays in the gig bag. Some of the smaller cellists are getting huge sound from these new instruments even if their bowing mechanics are not sound. If your DD can handle the weight though, it may be time to move up to the string bass.

Good luck!

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
LOL, my DD has bats and a cello (and cello shopping makes bats look cheap by comparison). We must need our heads examined. We've got to go get a new D string this weekend--old one snapped and the Xmas concert's coming up. That one string's probably gonna run $30 or more.

Whenever you're in KC again, KC Strings has a very nice selection IMO. When we bought DD's, there were about a dozen in our price range. A nice young bassist working there hauled them down for her and she played them one after the other till she narrowed it down to three. Then he (so she could hear them played very forcefully) and she went back and forth playing those three until she found her definite favorite. We were there for ages and they were extremely patient and helpful.

Thanks, but it's not gonna happen! :)
She has played the viola for years and wants to switch to cello. She can go to the orchestra room and play everyday during study hall, so not like she is deprived. She has been playing her viola for hours every night, but I can see that coming to an end when softball practice starts up again. I can picture a cello becoming a $1000 bra hanger in the corner of her room. :eek:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
MsD,
Fyi the new 2015 cellos are hot right out of the wrapper and seem to have just a little more pop than prior cellos, even with the new high tech internal sound governing sleeve for maximum allowable performance. We'll have to wait and see about the durability of the strings, but the luthiers seem to have come up with a winner.

I know several cellists who have tried them and won't put them down. The older cello stays in the gig bag. Some of the smaller cellists are getting huge sound from these new instruments even if their bowing mechanics are not sound. If your DD can handle the weight though, it may be time to move up to the string bass.

Good luck!

Used instruments can be a good value if they have been treated well. Just make sure that they haven't been altered to modify the harmonic nodes so she doesn't get ejected/

PS Ask a musician/ballplayer if you want to know why hitters' hands sometime sting when mis/hitting a ball.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish