Going to let PC know we are leaving tonight.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Jojo you are 100% correct. Call on the phone, tell he or she that you thank them for their help but you are going to a new pitching coach. The less details the better. Doing it right after a lesson would make me angry.

This struck me from the first, taking one more lesson in mechanics you don't believe in before pulling the plug seems like having one last date after you've decided to dump the girlfriend. Both parties participate, but with very different perspectives.

Mar 28, 2013
No lame excuses, no lies, just come out and say you are going a different direction. don't feel the need to justify why or explain that you are going the IR route. I understand trying to help the PC see a different way to look at pitching but If you can get a open minded response from the PC you would be the first in my experience. Just do what you believe is best for your DD. No regrets. with the success to come you DD will get a great life lesson. Bonus!

Jan 23, 2014
I told her at the beginning of the lesson that we were going to start going elsewhere and explained that the new coach taught different mechanics. She had actually taken a few lessons pitching ir so she offered to change it at that last practice. She isn't comfortable enough to coach it all the time, but was knew enough about it for one short practice. Her younger sister actually uses the ir method, so she runs drills with her. PC is a sr in high school. She said she feels ir is much easier in the sense that it doesn't feel like as much work, but she was just introduced to it last year and couldn't wrap her mind around it since she had been pitching HE her whole career. She also told me she went to a camp at Mizzou a couple of years ago and the coach told her they wouldn't even look at her bc of the way she threw, which I thought was interesting. Of course very few kids are going to be D1 pitchers, but you may as well give them a shot if they are just starting out. She agreed that my dd pitches so much better with ir, she was throwing much harder and hitting her spots way more consistently.

Mar 28, 2013
Doug Gillis is the PC at Mizzou,He is a IR guy all the way, pretty much another Hillhouse so it does not surprise me that Mizzou is not interested in HE. Nice job with the good resolution.Most HE instructors start acting like your doing borderline child abuse going with IR.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Doug Gillis is the PC at Mizzou,He is a IR guy all the way, pretty much another Hillhouse so it does not surprise me that Mizzou is not interested in HE. Nice job with the good resolution.Most HE instructors start acting like your doing borderline child abuse going with IR.

But isn't chelsea thomas an HE pitcher. Or at least a very prominent HE "finisher"?

Mar 28, 2013
She is a finisher at times.{rise ball}but certainly uses IR. Interesting story no one went out and drafted CT but after watching a vid and talking on the phone Doug And Chelsea meet in a wheat field half way between Mizzou and Chelsea's home town. Doug said he did not have much hope but thought he would check her out. They meet by the side of a road walk into the field and he gets out his radar gun. first pitch,72mph.He calmly stops to recalibrate his gun cause its obviously off. next pitch 73mph.the rest is history.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr